Looking to get a DSLR camera

tw1tch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey there. I have narrowed it down to 3 cameras. I have a bunch of friends, all of them but 1 shoot Canon. I want to stick with Canon in order to be able to borrow lenses, to really get a feel for what I'd like to purchase. My budget is around $1,500 to start. I have it narrowed down to these 3:

Canon 50D
Canon 60D
Canon T2i

I know that the 50D can not shoot video, but that's not a deal breaker to me. Picture image quality is #1 to me, followed by build quality. I am not sold on the 60D being made with plastic. It seems like a downgrade from the older 50D, even if the 60D is not a true successor to the 50D. I am sure it would be more than fine for me, but it only takes one big drop and it could be pretty bad. The T2i is obviously the lowest end camera, but it's the cheapest package for sure. I am new to DSLR, but I have handled all 3 of these cameras and I prefer the feel of the 50D best. I have a friend who owns the 40D and claims it to be better than both the 50 and 60D. I'm not sure if that's true, but it does produce some nice pictures.

I know that a rebel series with NICE glass will produce a better image than a 60D with a kit lens. I am just trying to figure out which of the 3 I listed (4 if you consider the older 40D) takes the best pictures. Good glass is one thing, but even with the best lens in place, these cameras all have different fps rates and many other differences. If you had $1,500 in hand and your goal was to get the best camera + IQ possible, which of these 3 would be ideal? I am sure I will step it up to some $1k+ lenses in the future, but I need a camera to get started. Thanks for any help!

1500 buy a 7D with the lens kit from B&H is 1689.00 thats what I paid three weeks ago

Get the 7D if you can afford it.

Weather sealing is something that used to only be on pro bodies for major $$$, and the 7D has got it.

In general its a better camera than the 50D/60D/T2i.

Also keep in mind that Canon's best and newest metering is only on the 7D and 60D bodies.

I highly recommend you get one of these two because of this. Canon has a history of poor metering, and this new system is really pretty descent and good to have.

Hope this helps.

- Neil

You should check to see if the Canon Loyalty Program has any 7D's left. When they do, you can get it for 20% off the refub price. ($1400 - 280 = 1120)

For the CLP, you have to send them another canon camera to get the discount. Some people buy broken or old p&s cameras on craigslist if they dont have one to exchange in the CLP. You can read up on the CLP here:
Just called Canon Loyalty and.. - Canon Digital Photography Forums
and other threads on that forum.

- Neil

Is a 7D too much camera for a first time DSLR shooter?

I don't really think so.... There is a ton of model-specific literature out there that can make learning camera functions a breeze. I agree with the others about the 7D, I would get an extra 200 bucks together and go for it, it's a superior camera to the others, and is also equipped with Canon's most advanced metering system.

- Neil

Is a 7D too much camera for a first time DSLR shooter?

I don't really think so.... There is a ton of model-specific literature out there that can make learning camera functions a breeze. I agree with the others about the 7D, I would get an extra 200 bucks together and go for it, it's a superior camera to the others, and is also equipped with Canon's most advanced metering system.

How long will the camera be relevant? Will it be out-dated in 3-4 years? I was told to look into a 7D or something like a D5 MKII or something? Is the 7D as good as it gets right now for Canon?

I jumped right in with the 7d as my first body... And I'm glad I did. There's a big learning curve; you won't be making millions by shooting in auto so you'll have to learn and master the controls. I had enough budget for the 7D with a 70-200 lens, but I'd strongly consider going 7D with a 50 mm 1.8 until you decide what you'll want for lengths/speeds on your lenses.. If you do that you'll be sticking around $1500 (closer to $1600, but) you'll be able to take excellent quality stuff and learn what you want for lenses before you buy what the members here tell you (which is what I did) - I'm glad I listened, but you may not be. That's why I suggest either a 50 mm 1.8, or a kit lens (lower quality) if you know you'll want range.

HOWEVER. If you are absolutely certain you want range, then the t2i wouldn't be a bad idea with a nice lens..

Have you considered anything outside of Canon?
NIKON D7000 (but you didn't hear it from me :x) haha. Nikon is pushing the market, offering amazing specs at good prices. you'd be cheating yourself if you didn't look into Nikon's d7000 (about $1200 body only, or $1500 with the kit. I mean kit lenses will ever be spectacular on anything but pro bodies, but this one might be decent judging by specs.. Take that with a grain of salt though -- I've never used nikon.

Yeah, I am set on Canon due to the many people I know who use Canon. It's nice to have a bunch of $1k+ lenses at my disposal to use, even if I can't afford them.

How long will the camera be relevant? Will it be out-dated in 3-4 years? I was told to look into a 7D or something like a D5 MKII or something? Is the 7D as good as it gets right now for Canon?

No, the 7D isn't the best you can get right now from Canon, but it is the best non-pro body they have (although it could be considered pro, but it's crop frame) The line-up is on Canon's website surely, but off of memory I believe there is 3 versions of the Canon 1D, then the Canon 5D, then 7D, and then into the lower level bodies..

Ooh and I wouldn't worry about relevancy if I were you.. These cameras are good for a long, long time... something like 50,000 shutter releases if I'm correct? Maybe higher, maybe a lot higher, but certainly not lower.. It won't be the best model out in 5 years, but that doesn't mean it takes pictures worse or anything silly like that....

Well if you have access to a bunch of L lenses, then definitely go for the body... 7D or 5D. Judging from the images I've seen, I would say the extra $500 for the 5D over the 7D would be worth it.. But I'm also not completely new to DSLRs... I've been in your position before.. All the numbers you see don't mean much, and you don't know what to look for and what not to look for. the best advice you can have is to do your own research and make an educated purchase by what you want in a camera..

Well if you have access to a bunch of L lenses, then definitely go for the body... 7D or 5D. Judging from the images I've seen, I would say the extra $500 for the 5D over the 7D would be worth it.. But I'm also not completely new to DSLRs... I've been in your position before.. All the numbers you see don't mean much, and you don't know what to look for and what not to look for. the best advice you can have is to do your own research and make an educated purchase by what you want in a camera..

Good advice. Considering I was thinking about a t1i last week, I think a 7D will be perfect for me. I didn't realize how much this hobby cost. It's crazy. I was *this* close to buying a 60D, but I went home and read reviews. I didn't like what I read. Sounds like Canon is purposely taking things away from the 60D in order to force people to buy the 7D. If they made the 60D too good, they would not inspire people to spend more on a better camera. Truth be told, I would probably own a 60D now if the body was not plastic. You really gotta wonder why Canon would make the 60D out of plastic when the 50 and even 40D were made much better.

Bought the T2I and loved it then sold it for a 7D love it more for what I want to do (drag racing ) more frames per second

Bought the T2I and loved it then sold it for a 7D love it more for what I want to do (drag racing ) more frames per second

How is the picture quality between those 2 when the subject is not moving?

Most reactions

Back