Looking to get a Point and Shoot - Suggestions?

mosu84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't always want to carry my DSLR around with me, so I would like to get something a little smaller and less obtrusive that I can carry with me more frequently. I'm open to all suggestions.

What kind of P&S cameras do you guys use -- if at all?

I have an advanced point and shoot... a Canon Powershot SX110 IS. GREAT camera for the price IMO. its a 9mp with 10x optical 5x digital zoom. all sorts of settings and features. also very similar to some DSLR cameras out there. I never take mine off the manual setting, and most times people wonder what DSLR I am shooting. For the price I dont think you can beat it, plus c'mon is a Canon... haha

I've got a Sony DSC H9, and it's great. It's 8mp, with a 15x zoom. I've got no complaints at all, and it was under $300.

Canon S5IS is a great camera as well. An advanced point and shoot. I have the S2IS and still drag it out from time to time.

Two choices - both Canon.

SX10is (I have it's little brother, the S3is).

G10 - Hands down, this is the single best point and shoot in the world today. 14 point something megapixels, 5 x zoom, IS, and the finest construction quality you're likely to find. This is the pocket camera a lot of pros are carrying around.

I would recommend the G10, which is awesome. It has almost all the features of a DSLR, and can shoot RAW:boogie: and most importantly, it's compact!! Compliments your DSLR nicely. ;)

Good lord, it costs more than I paid for my DSLR

--------------

Last edited:
i dont always carry around my dslr either... and i wanted a PS that would just fit in my pocket (unlike a lot of the suggestions that have been given)... i picked up a nikon coolpix s210 to have as my "carry around to parties" camera.. it was cheap, under 200 bucks, 8mp.. my wife also uses it, because she doesnt like my dslrs.

Well, you said you were "open to all suggestions," not just to cheap suggestions.

The G10 still seems like a good value to me. RAW, Canon's "L" series glass, magnesium frame, well-sealed construction. All (except for RAW) features you're not going to get with any DSLR that's in that price range.

Me? I'd rather have a camera that's going to last more than a couple of years, and that can produce quality images. Low-end point & shoots - like low-end DSLRs - are cheaply made and designed to fail in a relatively short period of time.

But ... hey! It's your nickel ...

Well, you said you were "open to all suggestions," not just to cheap suggestions.

The G10 still seems like a good value to me. RAW, Canon's "L" series glass, magnesium frame, well-sealed construction. All (except for RAW) features you're not going to get with any DSLR that's in that price range.

Me? I'd rather have a camera that's going to last more than a couple of years, and that can produce quality images. Low-end point & shoots - like low-end DSLRs - are cheaply made and designed to fail in a relatively short period of time.

But ... hey! It's your nickel ...

Sorry, didn't mean to sound ungrateful for the suggestion. I was just expressing my surprise at the price

I have the G9, the G10's predecessor and I've been very pleased with it. I used to have a film SLR, but moved away from photography for awhile. The G9 is bringing me back into it.

With the G9 I grab it and go. I have two 2G memory cards, as well as a second battery. I understand the G10 is better on the battery. Mine can make it through a 360 shot session on one battery.

I don't know that I love it yet, but I like it a lot. It's been very good to me so far.

Does it need manual controls, or are you fine with exposure compensation? If you don't need all the features you'd find in an SLR, just want a camera that's portable and good, I'd go with the Panasonic ZS1, it's not out yet though :p (It's the replacement for the TZ5, great little camera)

G10 With out a doubt. Esp since you could shoot in RAW.

Most reactions

Back