Looking to get my first DSLR D5100

Solidjake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, just joined today and must say it's a very nice forum.

I want to buy a D5100 as my first DSLR (using my friends Rebel XT here and there) and I was wondering if to buy it new, best price shipped is from newegg for $547 or maybe getting a used one such as the one below

Nikon D5100 18-55mm

Any suggestions I'd appreciate. One question that I still have it in comparison to the XT which has the small wheel to change the EV settings, how is it done on the 5100? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

I myself have had good luck with used items and appreciate that I have extended my buying power going used in some cases. That said, your results may vary. 1000 clicks is just getting warmed up on these cameras and if you could really test it out, shouldn't be a problem.

As for your questions, the 5100 has one wheel also, it controls the Shutter speed, and you depress another button while spinning to wheel to adjust the Aperture. Hope this is what you were asking. Most stores (Best buy, costco, etc) have 5100's so might be able to get hands on.

Keep and eye out for Black Friday deals. With the D5200 just announced and expected in Jan to the US, I imagine they will be something retailers wouldn't mind getting rid of their stock on.

I'm guessing you are in Long Island judging from the CL post. Are you close to Cameta in Melville? It sucks that you would have to pay tax, but they have the D5100 (with kit lens) refurb with a 1 year warranty for $440... Staples had a 1 day coupon for 25% off any camera which would have made the D5100 like $440+tax... There are deals out there if you look. Keep an eye on this site as all kind of deals are posted.. Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons & Discounts on Laptops, Computers, LCDs, TVs, Dell, HP, Apple, Amazon

photoubt.jpg

Just took delivery of my Dads D5100. Charging the battery now.

Attachments

• $image-3431369026.jpg
    $image-3431369026.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 155

Most reactions

Back