Looking to getting into Automotive Photography and photography in general

jackdcaro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello there, let me start this off by saying that I have had SOME experience with DSLR cameras, Nikons. My dad and Uncle both did some hobbyist photography and I've used a D3200 and D800 before and done some shots of my own for a family wedding, nothing really good I had a very basic understanding of ISO and shutter speed but beyond that -- stuff like lighting and how to get the best shot I had no idea, nor did I know much about the cameras I was using or which cameras are the best. Anyway I'm a huge car fan and I've been to a lot of car shows and I had an interest in photography but stopped doing anything or learning because I was busy with exams and starting college, now I'm in my second year of college I've been looking to getting back into it, but this time, automotive but I have no idea where to start. So my question is this: What's an ideal camera for this? Since we no longer own the DSLR's I'd used before I can't use them. Is a D3200 okay? I don't mind spending more so long as I have something that would be ideal for what I need it for whether it's entry-level photography or I get better and start doing more serious shots. As well as this, any other tips for getting started with photography from pretty much scratch?

Also, next year I will be in Australia for 6-7 weeks visiting my sister and I'd love to take some beautiful photos of the cars, landscape and such there so I was planning on buying a good camera again anyway. I would show some of the photos I took last time I used my dad's SLR but I don't have them anymore, but they were pretty much just point and shoot. I didn't spend much time thinking about angles, light, ISO, shutter speed etc. and that's what I'd like to learn more about this time round. It'd be so cool to be an automotive photographer for a magazine or something some day.

Update: Found some old photos, can upload them if needed.

Last edited:
For most automotive photography, which tends to be out-of-doors using ambient light and/or supplemental strobed light, or in the studio with all strobed light, almost any body will do the job. A D3200 would indeed be a good starter body, 'though I would consider a used D700 as a budget-friendly option for it's far superior build-quality and full-frame FoV. Lenses and lights will be where the boys are separated from the men. Fast, quality glass from UW to probably 60-70mm will be where you want to be ideally for most automotive photography. To do a really good job, you will also need to be able to control light; reflectors are a cheap & cheerful way to start.

For most automotive photography, which tends to be out-of-doors using ambient light and/or supplemental strobed light, or in the studio with all strobed light, almost any body will do the job. A D3200 would indeed be a good starter body, 'though I would consider a used D700 as a budget-friendly option for it's far superior build-quality and full-frame FoV. Lenses and lights will be where the boys are separated from the men. Fast, quality glass from UW to probably 60-70mm will be where you want to be ideally for most automotive photography. To do a really good job, you will also need to be able to control light; reflectors are a cheap & cheerful way to start.
Thank's for the response, I think I will get a D3200 again since I'm at least a *little* comfortable with that camera. I actually have some shots I took with it about two years ago, none of them automotive but that's what I'd like to do once I get myself started and get better, if possible if you'd be interested in seeing them and giving some tips. If so, can I post a link to them or do I have to post them on this forum somewhere? I'm new to this place too :)

You can post or link to the photos, however many members are hesitant to follow off-site links, so putting the images in your post will yield best results.

You can post or link to the photos, however many members are hesitant to follow off-site links, so putting the images in your post will yield best results.
Thank-you. Mind if I link it for the first time? I will post anything else I'd like comments and feedback on on the forums next time :)

Welcome! I would much rather see you post one or two of your best photographs right here in this thread. They don't have to be automotive photographs, but something large and shiny out in the daylight would certainly be in the same ballpark.

Posting a link to some photographs is almost completely a waste of time, IMO.

Way more important that which camera body is the photographer's vision and a good understanding of light and composition.

Welcome! I would much rather see you post one or two of your best photographs right here in this thread. They don't have to be automotive photographs, but something large and shiny out in the daylight would certainly be in the same ballpark.

Way more important that which camera body is the photographer's vision and a good understanding of light and composition.
0kAewYL
nhVV7so
nhVV7so

0kAewYL
nhVV7so
nhVV7so
That didn't work. My bad. How do I attach an image? I feel like a newbie for asking this as someone who works with computers.

The image has to be hosted somewhere (Flickr, Website, or in your personal image gallery here at TPF).

The image has to be hosted somewhere (Flickr, Website, or in your personal image gallery here at TPF).
Does Imgur work? That's what I used.

Did you use the "image" tool in the header?

Also, you can simply upload a file directly from your computer using the large tab below your reply post.

Did you use the "image" tool in the header?

Also, you can simply upload a file directly from your computer using the large tab below your reply post.
3 - VmyGoi7.jpg 1 - 0kAewYL.jpg 2 - nhVV7so.jpg

The D3200 is about as good of an option as any, but things really depend on budget and feel. One of the best things you can do is find your way to a camera store and hold them in your hands. Little nuances may make you consider different options. Example - my D7000 has separate wheels for aperture and shutter speed, while my wife's D5100 only has one adjustment wheel. I much prefer the separate wheels and bigger feel of my camera.

That much said, it sounds like you'll really be sticking to out door photography taken during the lighter times of the day. Since that will be your main focus - most sensors really are going to handle what you want done. Where you'll start to see differences, as someone just starting out, will really be in the lens more than body you're using.

Starting off with the D3200, or a 5300, 7100, etc... Each of those will handle a nice landscape or outdoor car photo easily from the sensor side. They'll all also be relatively similar to learn to control your camera, anywhere from understanding the "Exposure Triangle" to composing and focusing an image. It will probably be more worth your time to get a decent starter body for a lower price, so you can spend more on getting some really good, sharp glass.

So what can you take from all that - You'd be fine to go cheaper on a body to save room in your budget for better lenses, now just go hold a few and see which you like best!

Just to toss my own .02¢ worth in here to muddle things up, I do agree that most any camera body will likely serve you well as a novice, however I would add a bit of an addendum to that as well.

I absolutely agree with gregtallica in that both budget and feel are big things to consider. I too shoot with a Nikon D7000, which was a recent purchase (used) and was an upgrade from my D90 which had an unfortunate accident involving gravity and a large rock. Before the D90 took it's tumble however, I got to do a direct comparison with a much newer D5300. While I was/am quite impressed with the quality of images from the D5300, I have to equally say that the thing also really felt more like a toy than a camera. As you can probably imagine based on my comment about my D90, I can be a tad rough on my gear at times (at the very least, a bit klutzy on occasion) , so for myself this is can be a factor. My D90 did in fact survive the fall and still works (except for the flash and a busted diopter), however I strongly suspect that anything in the D3xxx or D5xxx line would probably have ended up totally trashed. No one really buys something like a camera with the intent to break it, but sh!t happens.

I would also add quickly to not let yourself get caught up in the megapixel race either. Even though that D5300 was 24 mp, the image quality wasn't really THAT much better than my 12 mp D90. The truth is that I got some really great images with my old Sony H1...it wasn't even a DSLR, just a 5 mp "super-zoom". There's A LOT more that goes into a camera and sensor than just the number of megapixels.

Likewise regarding budget, if you're just getting into all this, it's very well worth considering used equipment as well. For example, that D7000 I recently got, while used, it's in pristine condition, with less than 6000 clicks of the shutter (barely broken in!). The camera was only $300, which is about $100 less than even a refurbished D3300 (although the refurb D3300 does come with a kit lens). Camera tech changes so quick, that there's a lot of really good used bargains out there. In short, you can usually get A LOT more bang for the buck if you're willing to consider used.

Likewise, for the budget minded, let alone the novice, while I do agree that it's hard to go wrong with good glass, I also believe there are a few other considerations there as well. First, just because a lens is labeled as a "kit lens" or happens to be inexpensive, doesn't automatically mean that it specifically sucks! LOL! One of my favorite "go to" lenses, both as a Nikon shooter and back when I shot Canon digital, has always been my Tamron 70-300mm's...for the price, they are actually very good. Likewise, since moving to Nikon, I've developed something of an affection for those basic Nikkor 18-55mm's...in fact after breaking my first 18-55, I actually bought a direct replacement instead of an upgrade...for the $50 I payed, it's a hell of a lens!

More to the point...and this is strictly a personal opinion (as are all my comments), however as a novice, it's unlikely that you'll see too much of a difference between a $100 lens and an $1000 lens. Personally I believe a novice does better learning and understanding the basics of composition...what actually makes a great image great...as apposed to expensive gear. In other words, you can have a tack sharp image, however if it's a boring shot to look at, who cares? A simple fact is that cameras don't take good pictures, photographers do...it's not the gear, it's the person using it.

With that in mind, my own personal opinion would be to get yourself a decent used entry to mid level body, a couple of lenses (based on your own budget of course) and start reading and learning. Don't get too hung up on the controls of the camera...that will come with time...but start learning about the type of photography you're interested in. You say you like cars...start looking at the work of others and see what you can do to mimic or duplicate it. Google is a great place to start, but don't forget about your local library...they still have these things called "books" that can be a wonderful learning resource! LOL!

Just a few thoughts...I hope you find them useful!

I think in the long run, a D7000 type of body will serve you more well than the smaller D3000 type of cameras.
More advanced feature sets... grip options, AF motor, top LCD, etc....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back