Looking to Go Pro

iogen70

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
With much encouragement from friends and family I am exploring going pro. I have been to so many weddings, parties, functions that have hired a "pro" and my work usually is on par if not better. I really want to do weddings, and sport portraits (Little League, soccer, etc.) I go every year to my daughter's softball picture day and regret that I am not the one in there. These people have no passion, use all the wrong angles, you name it. But I stay quiet. Any tips as how to begin the sport photo business? I love it so much. I'm always doing it for free. I have done some pro work like product shots but that is for design projects.

You need a portfolio. A fat one. with your best, sharpest, quality images. You can't have enough.

If your serious about sports, go to all of the people that would need sports images; heck, newspapers, sports magazines, theres tons. Don't expect to land a consistent job right away... start small, with maybe an image here or there. in the beginning get everything you can take; even if you land a gig shooting pictures of pencils for an article in a paper, take it. Get your name on stuff first.

a portfolio with 50 good images is nothing compared to a portfolio of 50 images combined with a resume showing multiple instances where your images have been used and exhibited to the public; literally, on exhibit for thousands of people to see.

x3
QATTr0Jn8gAYwAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

With much encouragement from friends and family I am exploring going pro.

Don't listen to "family and friends". They're normally wrong. Average people tend to be very impressed by anything that comes out of something with interchangable lenses.

What they all said ^^^.

Here's a link to some of my shots. Just look in the folder called Various Photo Work. I only have a Canon PowerShot S3. So I do what I can with what I have. I have a friend who owns an EOS XS that I love to work with.
I know I have tons of room for improvement. But besides friends and family, my design clients have never been disappointed in my work. Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

Flickr: iogen70's Photostream

I'd like to see the photos as well, as they might be as good as your family and friends say. I'm not here to discourage anyone, but you need to think of a thing or two.

At these weddings and events you take photographs at:

1. You don't have the rules that pro photogs have. For instance at weddings, during the ceremony, most times we have to stand stationary at the last pew, and we are not allowed to shoot flash or move at all. Sometimes you can get up front, but that is rare, at least here in the South. Sometimes we are not even allowed to photograph the ceremony, or shoot from outside the window of the chapel.

2. You are not under the time constraints imposed by the b&g, the church, the venue, or the wedding coordinator.

3. You are free to take the "fun shots" while the pro photog has to get the "meat" shots. The bride will want to see photos of every flower arrangement, every favor, every concievable combination of her family and her husbands family, member of the wedding party, and guest.

4. The photos you take of formals, may be actually set up by the pro. I'm not sure about that one.

5. You get to sit and rest a for a bit. Pros do not. It's 8 hours of running, being told to hurryhurryhurry, and (nothing against you because I don't know how you roll) dealing with guests who jump in the aisles thus blocking our only view to the "kiss shot", as we are not allowed to move. Guests practically knocking us over to get "the shot" sometimes with their cell cams.

Again, I am not here to discourage you, but perhaps you should think of actually working a wedding or event with a "pro" a few times first. First of all, you can learn a tip or two about dealing with schedules, timelines, and rules, and secondly you might get a different take of what the paid photog actually has to do, be responsible for, and deal with.

Best to you in all endevors.

Hi Chris,
I went to your link. I chose to go to Matos Wedding. You do a good job outdoors, but seem to struggle indoors, or with reduced light. On these shots, there is more than acceptable noise. What type of flash are you using?

Well I briefed over your flickr as well and a quick first impression is that you have a eye for it. Using a point and shoot isn't going to allow you the freedom to really express your talent ;) Time to upgrade.

How many of the shot did you adjust shutter speed and aperture ? or did you let the camera do it all, because you will have a very big learning curve when you get a DSLR

Thanks for the feedback. Yes shooting with the P&S S3 is difficult. It has quasi DSLR settings (Manual, Program, etc.) however it has a slow shutter, the CMOS is not the best and it has thousands of shots on it.

Regarding the flash.....just the built in. Not very good in dark conditions. I change the curtain to first and last as needed, but it still produces the noise above 200ISO. And in these situations I need to go 400 or 800. So yes I need an upgrade big time.

I am a Canon fan. My first SLR was a AE1 35mm. I am looking at mid-range EOS' such as the Ti with 3 lenses a variety of filters, and a speedlight with remote set up.

Thanks again.
Chris

GSGary: Most of the shots I composed, changed shutter/f stop to get what I wanted. Candids were mostly AE.

As far as jumping into the pro world, I'd have to say don't quit your day job right away. After looking though the photos you have posted, they really aren't much more than the happy snaps. You did mention your limitations with the camera you use, so that does a problem right off the get go. Before going pro you'll need to upgrade your gear and start learning how to really use it. As far as shooting sports, walk before you start to run, shooting weddings and shooting sports are not the same at all. If you have your heart set on making a living as a photographer, good luck, but understand that it is a tough business to start and make a living at.

Most reactions

Back