Looking to pick up some gear

The Mullet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

I recently bought a Cannon Digital Rebel XSI. I finally bought all my books for school and am looking to pick up some gear. But im torn between picking up a telephoto lens (i currently only have the Kit lens) or Getting an external flash. I have about 300 to 400 dollars to spend. I am willing to buy used. So if anyone has any suggestions or anything else they think i should look into getting to assist my photos id be interested in hearing.

Thanks

the mullet

Which do you find yourself in a greater need for? Do you need the flash to help with existing photos - or are you missing or messing up loads of shot because you don't have the longer focal length?
Also how far are you taking this hobby? When it comes to things like lenses I tend to run on the concept of getting ones that will last me the duration of my interest (probably to the grave ;)) so I look to the high end kit that I won't need to replace - that is how I approach my lense purchases since the degree of interest will determin how much you are willing to save for.

That said at the early stages there are lots of good cheaper things to add to a growing kit and a good external flash is one of them

Currently im leaning more towards the telephoto. It seems everytime im out shooting i find myself wishing i had one. I like the idea of buying a top end lens or something that will last me a long time. But im also restricted to a budget. So any suggestions of a solid telephoto? Even if i can find one used. I plan on using my camera and being involved in photography for a while. Im taking a few photo courses in school and am just trying to absorb all i can.

So if anyone has any suggestions or anything else they think i should look into getting to assist my photos id be interested in hearing.

Thanks

the mullet

So get a less expensive off-brand compatible flash unit and a tele-converter lens until you can afford what you want.

Used 70-200 f/4 non IS. Or, a 70-300, not the greatest lens though.

Used 70-200 f/4 non IS. Or, a 70-300, not the greatest lens though.

Well im thinking about getting this [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-75-300mm-4-5-6-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00004THD0[/ame]

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts. I know its not the greatest. But i dont have enough money to drop on anything more expensive. i have a couple questions

- Since theres no image stabilization will it really make a huge difference for a begginer?

- Is there any other lenses of similar capabilties in this price range?

hopefully someone will reply to this

thanks,

the mullet

If you are getting that lens, get a tripod as well. And then another $15 for a shutter remote like this.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Remote-Control-Cord-Digital/dp/B000NVU0C4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1221857267&sr=1-5[/ame]

The one thing with longer lenses to keep in mind is that you will need to shoot at a faster shutter speed, or mount on a tripod to take sharp pics. The much more expensive ones give you IS or a faster aperture to allow shooting by hand in a wider range of light, but you can get decent pics with this lens if you set up properly.

Personally, on your budget, I would get the flash :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back