Looking to purchase off camera flash for wedding....any reccomendations

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have a friend who wants me to shoot her wedding. It's going to be on a boat in lake superior harbor near Duluth MN. So I know I'm going to be dealing with LIGHT (GOD ME AND LIGHTING GRRRRR! LOL) I have a 2nd friend who is going to be a 2nd photographer her x husband did photography and he said she could borrow his nice camera. I'm also going to purchase a reflector b/c that will help. I use the flash on my camera and it takes a while to re charge I'm looking to purchase another flash that will be quicker b/c well I CANT miss the moment. Yea shes not paying me but she is a friend and I want this perfect! I am a perfectionist at heart!!

I was looking at the canon flash 580ex ii or the 430ex ii.... I know there is a def price difference I'm just curious what other people use and how they like them. I am googling it but I also what other folks input from here.

NOTE: sorry mean't to write ON camera flash!! Was in a rush before work to write this...sorry :(

As always your guys advice is always appreciated!

Thanks!!

Last edited:
RebeccaAPhotography said:
So I have a friend who wants me to shoot her wedding. It's going to be on a boat in lake superior harbor near Duluth MN. So I know I'm going to be dealing with LIGHT (GOD ME AND LIGHTING GRRRRR! LOL) I have a 2nd friend who is going to be a 2nd photographer her x husband did photography and he said she could borrow his nice camera. I'm also going to purchase a reflector b/c that will help. I use the flash on my camera and it takes a while to re charge I'm looking to purchase another flash that will be quicker b/c well I CANT miss the moment. Yea shes not paying me but she is a friend and I want this perfect! I am a perfectionist at heart!!

I was looking at the canon flash 580ex ii or the 430ex ii.... I know there is a def price difference I'm just curious what other people use and how they like them. I am googling it but I also what other folks input from here.

NOTE: sorry mean't to write ON camera flash!! Was in a rush before work to write this...sorry :(

As always your guys advice is always appreciated!

Thanks!!

You could rent what you need. I prefer the 580ex ii.

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

hmmmm thats not a bad idea. I'll have to look into it. I kind of would rather purchase just to own it and be able to use it whenever I want. ya know :)

I agree but renting will let you try it out for a lot less and you can decide which one you like better
Borrow lenses.com has the 580 for $26 and the 480 for $20 for three days.

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

You can speed up the re-charge cycle by using the flash unit (any hot shoe flash unit) at less than full power.

Using TTL effectively is complex, so there is a fair learning curve to learn to use it effectively. Even then TTL delivers somewhat inconsistant results because the camera software engineers could only guess at what you would be wanting to shoot with their TTL programing.

Last edited:
I was wondering where I could find a place to rent!! Thank you so much!! I think I am going to rent and see how I like both. I was googling places in my area and didn't find much (yet) I'm gonna look into that. I'd rather not rush into that purchase since it is an ok difference in price. Thanks for the idea!

When is the wedding?

I prefer the 580. But you should learn how to use it before the wedding.

The 580 can be used as a master in a multiple flash set up. The 430 can't. Maybe something to consider for down the road. I would go with the better gn on the 580 as well. I'd rather have more flash than I need most of the time than not enough sometimes.

The wedding is in 2week and a half weeks and if I chose to buy it I would do it in the next few days so I can get an idea of how to use it.

Most reactions

Back