Looking to step into a L Lens

michaellynn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is there a real sharp fast all around lens that is somewhat affordable? I have a canon 7d with a 28-1135mm and I have sigma 10-20mm.

I did like my 18-55 lens from my old Rebel for focal length. I'm a photography student and I believe I have some street photography assignments coming in the future. I also have some photo journalism stuff to do as we'll.

I also have a canon 55-250. It's nice but not as fast or sharp as I'd like.

I'd love to read some of your comments.

Canon's L lenses are mostly designed for their full-frame cameras. How about their 17-85mm? Canon 17-85mm

Not an L lens, but good quality, useful range, decent weight, and not so monstrous and obvious as the big f/1.8 zooms are.

Depends on what you consider affordable.

Sell the 55-250 and buy a 70-200 f/2.8. You you can afford it buy the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II. They are nice sharp lenses. I find the 70-200 f/2.8 on my camera quite often while shooting with my 7D. Very satisfied with the way it performs.

You'll have to give us some idea of budget - without that we are in a sea where prices can go sky high very quickly and if we start going on about things way beyond your ability to afford then we are not helping much.

That said Derrel raises a good point regarding focal lengths in zoom lenses, there are no crop sensor "L" lenses because L is reserved for full frame only - however there are (as said) some very good quality crop sensor only lenses can stand up very well optically against L lenses.

I have the 16-35 which I bought for street/indoor. I also shoot a 7D, so this lens gives me the option for wide angle as well as normal focal lengths. I don't own it, but many photojournalists use the 24-70.

My suggestion is to think about your long-term goal so you don't buy a stupid-expensive lens with redundant focal lengths to the next stupid-expensive lens you decide to buy. For instance, the 16-35 met my end-goal of having that lens, a 50 prime, and 70-200.

Also, L glass is absolutely not reserved for full-frame only. They'll all be just as sharp and perform just as well on your crop sensor. You just have to multiply the focal length by 1.6. Just like EF lenses, and EF-S lenses for that matter. Whatever you do, don't buy an EF-S lens.

Most reactions

Back