Looking to upgrade to a dSLR .

Tyler S

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been into photography on and off for about 5 or 6 years now, and back in March I really started to get into it. I was given a Panasonic Dmc-fz30 by a family member. This was a pretty big step up from my 4 mp point and shoot Nikon. 4 more megapixels, faster continuous shooting, a much better quality and faster f/2.8 - f/3.7 lens, the ability to shoot RAW files, and several other features.

Since I was given this camera, photography has become a passion of mine. I have quite possibly taken near 15,000 shots with this camera since I was given it back in March. Most of the time, I shoot in manual mode. This camera has been much better than my old point and shoot, however it does have it's limitations obviously and has left me realizing something - I'm going to need to upgrade to a dSLR .

One of the major drawbacks of the Panasonic is it's low light performance. The highest ISO sensitivity is 400, and even at this sensitivity there is quite a bit of noise. When in Las Vegas on a trip last month, I found myself taking pictures on the strip using an ISO sensitivity of 100, and a shutter speed of around 1/4th of a second. Thankfully the camera has image stabilization, but I still had to hold it very steady and moving subjects were obviously blurred. I love nighttime and low light photography, but my Panasonic limits what I can do. This is one primary reason I want to upgrade to a dSLR. The sensor is larger and would perform much better at high ISO sensitivities.

Another drawback of the Panasonic is that it is a bridge camera, and does not have interchangeable lenses. I would love to be able to change lenses for different shooting scenarios. For instance, I could pick up a fast f/1.8 or so prime lens for portraits, low light work, or just for when I want some nice bokeh. There are also numerous accessories for a dSLR that can be had, and I could see myself using some.

A last drawback of the Panasonic would be it's continuous shooting mode. It's 3 fps, but only for up to 5 highest quality jpeg's. I'd love having a higher frame rate with a larger buffer for things such as sports, and just for having a better chance of capturing that "moment" .

Having said all of this, the moral of the story is that I want to upgrade to a dSLR. Preferably Nikon or Canon. My budget would be in the ballpark of around $2000 or so. If anybody could recommend me a camera and some gear, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Tyler.

CNCO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm selling all my equipment if you are interested.

Whootsinator

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
At that price range, the answer to your quandary is a Nikon D7000 and some decent glass. :biggrin:

mjhoward

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeljeremie.com
Photos OK to edit
Is $2k for body only or does that need to include the lens? If body only, perhaps you could stretch it a bit further and get a Full Frame body. I doubt you'd ever feel the need for upgrade again if you went straight for the FF body.

Most reactions

New Topics