Looks more real this time....end of HIE

November 2, 2007

KODAK is preannouncing the discontinuance of several smaller running families of Professional film - EPR, EPN and High Speed Infrared (HIE) effective end of December 2007. Demand for these products has been declining significantly in recent years, and it is no longer practical to continue to manufacture given the low volume, the age of the product formulations and the complexity of the processes involved.

We will continue to ship product through the end of this year.

These discontinuances are effective in all countries worldwide, with one exception: KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME 64 Film / EPR will continue to ship to Japan beyond 2007.

Product CAT No.
KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME 64 Film / EPR 120 8350498
KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME 64 Film / EPR 135-36 8657124
KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME 64 Film / EPR / 6117 / 10 sh 4 x 5 in 1604719
KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME 64 Film / EPR / 6117 / 10 sh 8 x 10 in 1225341
The suggested replacement for KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME 64 Film / EPR is
KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME Film E100G or E100GX.

Product CAT No.
KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME 100 Film / EPN 120 8669467
KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME 100 Film / EPN 135-36 8004103
KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME 100 Film / EPN / 10 sh 4 x 5 in 1404474
KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME 100 Film / EPN / 50 sh 4 x 5 in 1489822
KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME 100 Film / EPN / 10 sh 8 x 10 in 1767276
The suggested replacement for KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME 100 Film / EPN is KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME Film E100G or
KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME 100 Plus Film / EPP.

Product CAT No.
KODAK PROFESSIONAL High-Speed Infrared Film / 135-36 8101529

If you enjoy any of these, go buy some and put it in the freezer. When you want to use it, I've found that a day thawing in the refrigerator and then a day at room temperature is the best way to bring it back from storage.

Since it's sealed, there should be no ill effects.

Less radical is just keep it in the refrigerator, which should give you many years of vintage film.

What's next. Will labs stop processing this and you'll have to find some special place to mail it, for an increased price?

I'll be content processing it on my own. I'll do a better job and not worry about someone opening the cannister under the lights by mistake. ;)

I'll be getting a small stockpile, to be sure, so I can continue to play with it for another few years.

But may I just say...... bastards!!! :x

Thanks, I feel better.

I read about this yesterday. I damn near cried about them discontinuing Ektachrome.

Ektachrome 64 was my one true love. :'(
I hate E100. It's too weird

The word about the end of HIE was real enough back in May, but Kodak's PR people denied it. The loss of HIE is a great shame, but I think that Kodak should be praised for keeping it going for so long.

Best,
Helen

The word about the end of HIE was real enough back in May, but Kodak's PR people denied it. The loss of HIE is a great shame, but I think that Kodak should be praised for keeping it going for so long.

Best,
Helen
I agree in spirit, Helen. ;) I'm ranting because they denied it so vehemently back in May. Truly, it would have been better to just own it then. :thumbdown:

It IS a shame, for there is no other film out there quite like it. I hope to be able to play with it a few more years, anyway.

I do know that the photo store down the street has a heft supply of HIE left. Maybe I should go buy it out and mess around, before I can't anymore.

I went yesterday and bought all their Ektachrome 64T in 120 roll. A good purchase.

Can I shoot HIE with a standard 25A red filter? On Kodak's website it says I need a gelatin filter. I have no idea what the difference is.

I don't think that Ektachrome 64T (EPY) is being discontinued. That is a very useful film for both tungsten and daylight, with an 85B filter.

Yes, you can shoot HIE with a red 25 filter. A lot of people do, because you can see through it. The old designation for a Wratten 25 was a Wratten A, a 29 was an 'F'. I think that Kodak only refer to gelatin filters because their Wratten line are commonly used for reference, and the spectral properties of a Wratten filter are known and standardised. The same cannot be said for other manufacturers who use Wratten numbers loosely at times. However, it should not be a problem. It is just Kodak being as accurate as they can be.

I've just checked with B&H. They have over 1000 rolls of HIE available now, at $12.95 per roll.

Best,
Helen

Freestyle also appears to have plenty in stock right now.

I would imagine it will be widely available for several more weeks; eventually the world's HIE die-hards will have it snatched up and in storage - then it will be ebay (which I wouldn't bother with). ;)

Get it while you can, if you want it, folks.

Oh ****. This stuff is too expensive to stockpile. Not fair. And I have too many other things to stockpile. I'm gonna have to triage.

Which one stays...HIE or AZO?

Wow, blow me off my feet, Kodak canceled another analog product?

Wait... Hold on.... Odd.....

I am still standing, guess I did see that coming.

Max, buy the Azo! Of course I am bias, but once you do, 4x5 will become your small format camera!

Wow, blow me off my feet, Kodak canceled another analog product?
:lol: I know, I know, my brother! But HIE was a special pet of mine, I experimented more with this stuff than any other film.

So, even though I saw the train coming way off and HIE lying on the track, it still hurts that no one kicked it safely out of the way. ;)

So, even though I saw the train coming way off and HIE lying on the track, it still hurts that no one kicked it safely out of the way. ;)

It's like being jilted by a lover on a warm summers day, a gentle wind, kind waves lapping at....

sorry, got lost for a second....

Azo was/is the last Kodak product I use, after promises that would not axe it if the minimum order was met each year, they did. But not before screwing up the entire run of grade 2. I feel your pain, but I suggest finding a company that is making an effort to produce analog products and support them, the big yellow has forgotten their roots, and will leave you on that beach.... alone.... heart broken... sobbing in your scotch....

:er:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back