Loons on my recent trip to Maine

PersistentNomad

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so my boyfriend's family owns an island on a huge lake in Maine, how freaking awesome is that? Even more awesome: the lake has more loons on it than I've ever seen in my whole life, and I grew up in northern New England with many a summer trip on northern lakes. So, this year was the first year I got to go and see the island, and obviously I brought my camera. I saw some rad cormorants being goofy and making me nostalgic for Florida, I was ambushed by a certifiable flock of Waxwings while I was in the lake washing off (and naturally without my camera to catch the epic scene), and I harangued loons with a fake loon call to get them to come closer to me. I actually feel bad because I think I made one fall in love with me and he paddled around in front of me looking lost and confused (but he's the one I got the best shots of). Also, there was this adorable little snail hanging around during one of the days.
for web-0608.jpg
for web-0414.jpg
for web-0619.jpg
for web-0485.jpg

They're all great, but I keep looking at the first (because those little webbed feet are killing me dead! :allteeth:) and the last one (because I'm digging the balance, the depth of field, and the gentle colors.)

Nice set the only time i have got to see loons i saw seven

Really nice set. #2 could be used on our tourism page. The loon is Minnesota's state bird. If you don't see them, you hear them.

Really nice set. #2 could be used on our tourism page. The loon is Minnesota's state bird. If you don't see them, you hear them.
I mean, if you've got the hook-up, I'm happy to oblige...

Most reactions

Back