Losing image quality when resizing

ISHUTTER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First off I am still fairly new to photography so please bear with me :wink: I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT and mainly take motocross pictures that get posted on atv websites.My question is this:Is it normal to lose picture quality when resizing a picture.An example of this would be when I pull up my pictures on Irfanview and they are the original size they look great(well most of them anyway) but when I resize them to say 600x800 they just seem to lose the quality.Is this typical when doing this or is the program I am using not the best?I am open for all suggestions.

What program are you using to resize them?

What are you saving the files as? If jpg, what kind of compression/quality?

Are you sharpening them?

I am using Irfanview and they are jpeg.I have my camera set on image size "small" 1250x1475 or something like that and quality "fine".When I open the picture it comes up at the size it was shot at and really looks good.Then when I resize it down to 600x800 it just doesn't look near as good to me.I do sharpen and that helps.Maybe it is just me.This is the first real camera I have owned and maybe seeing the pictures full size first with all the detail just makes the smaller (resized) version not look as good.

Well, make sure in Irfanview that you have the resample button checked, and not just "resize". Irfanview is probably not the best option for resizing pictures.

Thanks Digital Matt.I am going to a different program and see what it looks like.I have a program that came with my camera I'll try.

Most reactions

Back