Loss in sharpness

krolltan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi! I have a Nikon D3s, a 70-200 VRII and a 50 1.4 AF-D. The thing is that when I look at a picture taken with the D3s in DX-mode, and I look at the sharpness preview window in Lightroom, the picture looks less sharp then if I take a picture in the same focal length, but with camera moved, so I get approx. same framing, the picture looks sharper.

So the question is: Is the loss in sharpness caused by the loss of resolution when my camera is in DX-mode?

Edit: I also see this when I zoom the picture in to 1:1 ratio in the big window in Lightroom.

Last edited:
I thin k so--I think it's the loss in resolution when switching to DX-crop mode. I see the same thing with the D2x, which also has a reduced-field, lower MP count, "High Speed Crop Mode". A higher megapixel count usually makes an image look smoother, and sharper, than does a lower MP count image. Even if the same picture area is represented in both images, the higher MP count image almost always appears "sharper", or "Clearer".

Yeah, its because your basically cropping, and by doing that, at the same view size, its a lower resolution image.

Thank you! I've been worried sick for the past week, because I had to remove some fingerfat from the front element of the 70-200, and I was afraid I had damaged the lens in the process.

I used soft toiletpaper for this, which I've used on other lenses for years. I noticed the loss in sharpness after I cleaned the 70-200's front element.

Definitely don't use toilet paper, with $7k in gear, swing a microfiber cloth, and lens cleaning solution. If anything, you have just smeered the fingerprint oil, and gotten fibers across the front element. The coating on the lens is durable, but repeated miscleanings may damage it.

I have taken a lot of test pictures at various focal lengths and appertures, and the pictures looks great. So I got away with it this time. If I should get fingeroil or other things on the front, or rear elements for that matter, I wil send it too an authorized service facility.

But the cheapest way would be to simply put the lens caps on after use, so I will avoid this another time :)

But anyways, thank you alot for taking your time to answer my question, and with that calming me down.

Most reactions

Back