lost focus

chiefdeck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a 3 month old EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM that will not focus on either autofocus or manual. When you use auto you can hear lens try to focus and then gets to a point and it looks like you are looking through crystal. Manual ens up same way. This was on my 6d Mll and does same on my 80d. It worked fine a couple of days ago. Was out last night shooting Milky Way using a Rokinon 20mm and IRIX 15mm and they worked fine, but when I put the 24-105mm on this morning would not work. Very frustrating, anybody else ever had this problem?

I'm not sure what "looks like you are looking through crystal" means, exactly. Are you saying you see strange visual artifacts (like the glass is cracked??)

Remove the lens from the camera. Remove the front & rear dust caps. Look through the lens. Is it clear and un-damaged?

Try the windows reboot.
  • Turn off
  • Remove battery
  • wait
  • Put battery back in
  • turn on
  • check.
A few times I have had to reboot the lens.
  • Turn off
  • Remove lens
  • Attach lens
  • turn on
  • check
I have no idea why these process sometimes "fixes" a weird situation.

I'm not sure what "looks like you are looking through crystal" means, exactly. Are you saying you see strange visual artifacts (like the glass is cracked??)

Remove the lens from the camera. Remove the front & rear dust caps. Look through the lens. Is it clear and un-damaged?

it looks like you are seeing underwater is a pool without a mask

Most reactions

New Topics

Back