lost with 24mm 1.4L

user3977

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so, i rented the 24mm 1.4L to shoot at an indoor skatepark. using flash and an XTi i can get a few decient pictures. i do have an issue though. some reason i can not get the people close to me in focus. the backgrounds in almost all the photos are great. but the skaters i am not focused on. can someone reach through here and slap me and say do it this way stupid :p i tried manual focus but still not much luck. also if you have any pointers on how to properly use the 580ex II with my camera setup. it is borrowed from a friend of family but i did not have chance to pick brain on how to properly make it work for what i am doing.

are you usuing all focus pt or only one?

Have you read your camera's users manual and learned how to use the 3 different focus modes and the different focus area modes it has available for you to use? Pages 56, 57, & 58...

Do you have the camera configured to sync the flash on the second curtain?

What lens aperture are you using?

Posting some example photos would also help to suss out the problem.

photos in a second first let me answer questions. i checked the AF points, it was set on manual with center point. i just changed it to automatic, will see if it helps tonight. i was using AI focus, after looking at the book again i see that i should have been using AI servo instead for sports. so i will try that too. should i have it set to second curtain? i was shooting it wide open 1.4

i was shooting it wide open 1.4

That's why. It's VERY difficult for a camera to track subjects up close at f/1.4, where DOF is just razor thin, it's actually quite difficult for a camera to AF at super wide apertures, which is why Canon doesn't make the 50mm f/1 anymore. Shooting action at f/1.4, alot of your shots will be out of focus. That's the name of the game.

the first one is ok, the other two though you can see the background is good the subjects are out of focus.

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

I've never shot skaters, so I have to ask...

Isn't possible to anticipate where a skater will be when you want to trip the shutter? I know they are always moving, but I wondering if there is a local (like at the top of a ramp or just beyond) where you can predict a desirable situation? The reason I ask is I would pre-focus in manual and wait for the skater to come into the scene. Is this approach practical?

-Pete

i was shooting it wide open 1.4

That's why. It's VERY difficult for a camera to track subjects up close at f/1.4, where DOF is just razor thin, it's actually quite difficult for a camera to AF at super wide apertures, which is why Canon doesn't make the 50mm f/1 anymore. Shooting action at f/1.4, alot of your shots will be out of focus. That's the name of the game.

so, what would you suggest? f/3.2 f/4.0 im going to try again tonight and taking all this in so that i can do better i hope. also any suggestions on how to setup a 580ex II on hot shoe to help out would be great.

Pre-focus on a point, high speed sinc on flash, aperture about F4, 1/500, or for something different, AI servo panning @ F4 1/40 flash on second curtain

I would use all focus pt.. thats just me.

I would use all focus pt.. thats just me.

I tried using all focus points while shooting bmx and it was a disaster ( using a 50 f1.4). I would use the single center dot and al servo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back