Lost WW2 images and copyright question

junk250

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a collection of images/artwork from a WW2 hero/man about town circa 1935-1944.

The (Dead)"Author" has Copyright I assume on photos/negs,but they are truely historic images,and as far as I know the "original author" has copyright forever or 100+ years. But he is gone,I purchased the negatives and drawings from him before he died,his family was tossing stuff in a dumpster at the estate sale,sad.

I see lots of old "Historical" pics reproduced,in calenders ect.,I have a treasure trove of interesting pics and drawings from him.A true American WWII hero,and it would be a shame if they were not shown to the public.Seems a shame not to share the archive,I would hate to be the the last to see them.

I'm wondering what I can do with these Historic photos/drawings etc.

I think you can still show them/sell them etc - but as long as you credit the original author, and dont claim them to be your own.

Perhaps someone can confirm that for us?

You might notice the hot babe decked out in riding leathers on the rare 1930's rare custom starburst paint Harley(rarest harley known) is the babe in the original cardboard pin up.

She wasn't posing,she rode the ride.

I have other pics where she is covered in mud and wearing full leather gloves and boots,too hot !

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/ju/junk250/elmerbabeDSCF0002.jpg

Sounds to me like you could do what you wanted with the photographs but as mentioned above you could not tkae credit for the capture.Who is gonna say anything anyway?The family was tossing his stuff in the garbage so I cant think they would care,that is unless one of the pics generated some money or attn and then they may get interested in his work!!

Since you said were dumpster diving, then said you bought them? You didn't make it clear if you got permission or not, for all of them which could be messy.

I'd say, get ownership in writing from the family, in which case you would own the rights to the usage for the photos. A simple document saying that you purchased the photos and own all rights to them, is enough. Have it signed and dated.

It doesn't matter who took the pictures. if you want to use them. You need rights to them.

It would be a nice gesture to credit the original photographer, but that isn't necessary. Just like if you hired someone to take a photo and bought all rights to that photo. (c) Junk250 Images. :D

You must become the owner of the RIGHTS to the images. After that you can make copies, shirts, posters, anything you want with them.

In effect the estate is selling you the previous copyright.

Most reactions

Back