Lotus, please C&C. thank you.

josephche

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Today i took some shots of lotus. it is my first trying of black and white. please let me know how do you feel. thanks a lot for your c&c.

3997045670_f686723c64_o.jpg

Exposure: 0.025 sec (1/40)
Aperture: f/3.5
Focal Length: 14.4 mm
ISO Speed: 80

3997045648_a8a1b2904e_o.jpg

Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 6 mm

3996286319_24540f4f4c_o.jpg

Exposure: 0.04 sec (1/25)
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 38.9 mm

Here i cropped the 3rd in another way, and cannot decide which is not so bad. please tell me your feeling.
3996286285_21e516bf0e_b.jpg

Hmmm... Well, lessee... The first two don't do a lot for me; they seem like they'd be better executed in colour. Three and four, especially number three are excellent. While I'm not usually a big fan of monochrome conversions which are so heavy on the mid tones, in this case it really works. #3 is an image I'd be pleased to hang on my wall!

Numbers 1 and 3 are my favorites. They both show a subject nicely. I would prefer these 2 in color though, but that's just me.

Two lacks a good subject (or a good presentation of the subject). Four is just boring.

IMO, a good B&W picture has a lot of contrast and shadows. It has to have something that makes it pop. These shots are too bland and boring in B&W. The only that looks sorta good in B&W is the second one (the top half) thanks to the reflections giving it nice shadows. If you can, please post up the color originals (if any).

Thank you for your comments. i am very glad your guys like it. i posted the ones in color and i hope you like it. but i thought the white-balance is not good, even though i set it manually. another point is that today is cloudy here. and i cannot get the green water or the reflection of the blue sky. i think it would be better with green or blue. the color of the water, in 3 and 4, is not what i like. That is why i made it black and white.
looking forwards to your your feeling. thank you again.

3996386731_151fda9a62_o.jpg

3997145678_d3e76866e3_o.jpg

3996386629_bc2dcdc541_b.jpg

3997145624_e2d22cbd9a_o.jpg

This is quite impressive for a PowerShot.
Nice job!

Thank you. now a dslr is too expensive and i cannot afford. an advantage of a powershot is that i can take it with me wherever i go. :)

I wasn't knocking it. I am impressed.

I loved my PowerShot750.
Keep shootin'

I wasn't knocking it. I am impressed.

I loved my PowerShot750.
Keep shootin'

I didn't notice that you were "knocking", until i saw your reply. :lol:

Thank you again for your comment. I like shooting and will keep on it.

Your black and white is terribly flat, but works better than the colour ones
When converting from colour to black and white use the channel mixxer in monochrome setting (photoshop)
it helps greate more depth (when you learn how to use the sliders)
Basically red = darken the darkest areas
Green = blend
blue = brighten lighter areas
etc...

Your black and white is terribly flat, but works better than the colour ones
When converting from colour to black and white use the channel mixxer in monochrome setting (photoshop)
it helps greate more depth (when you learn how to use the sliders)
Basically red = darken the darkest areas
Green = blend
blue = brighten lighter areas
etc...
Thank you. i used picasa to convert it black/white, as it is easy, just one click . Now i understand one click is not enough and photoshop can give me more choice on the conversion. thank you for your information and i will spend some time on the photoshop.

I especially like 3. I like it better in black and white, but the color of the petal is great in the colored one.

I especially like 3. I like it better in black and white, but the color of the petal is great in the colored one.
Thank you for your comment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back