Love and hate

texxter

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this picture on the street a while ago. I have a love-hate relationship with it. Love the spontaneous capture of the moment, but hate the fact that it can be perceived to be stereotyping black males. What do you see? Keep or send it to the trash bin?
0487.jpeg

Well, at first I didn't make the connection with the sterotype but I'm from the UK so that particular one isn't really on my radar. I wouldn't have seen it as one if it hadn't been pointed out. I still see it as a wee flirtacious moment betwwen two young people more than anything else.

I've more an issue with the off kilter and softness.

Only you can decide whether to keep it or not, however, as a stand alone photo it doesn't really hold my attention but might well work as one in a series.

When I look at the pic, the first thing I think is " Why is she holding her hand in such a awkward position". Then I notice you cut the top of his head off, so he must only be background and not a subject.

The lady has been eating from the watermelon also. She is wiping juice from her cheek. My evidence is the seeds on the street under her legs. Beer and watermelon. It's what's for breakfast.

You might be right, but she must have been spitting those seeds between her legs and trying to not drip juice on them while wearing a skirt and sitting on a curb.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'd have noticed if it wasn't pointed out.

Either those possibilities or the seeds were from some previous townspeople who may have sat there earlier at this event/market or whatever's going on. For me it's an odd angle including all the legs and parts of people, seems cut off rather oddly due to the perspective (guy to the left is on a lean).

Not sure if it's a photo I'd necessarily do anything with, but if there were photos of more variety of people eating the same foods at this event that would probably help minimize any stereotypes.

The fact that we might even concern ourselves with some type of stereotyping rather then taking the scene for what it is, makes me uncomfortable. Why take it for anything other then the street scene that it is. As to the image itself, like others have said the odd angles, and body parts cropped off, is more concerning.

Once it was brought up, then there it is. I don't know how people would perceive it if nothing was pointed out.

Thanks for all the feedback and comments!

Took this picture on the street a while ago. I have a love-hate relationship with it. Love the spontaneous capture of the moment, but hate the fact that it can be perceived to be stereotyping black males. What do you see? Keep or send it to the trash bin?View attachment 175836
When my daughter was Curatot of the Louis Armstrong Archives at Queens College in NYC, we attended an opening of one of their shows which was catered by Sylvia’s, the famous soul food restaurant in Harlem. At the buffet, I asked the server if this was soul food. He looked at me in a puzzled way and then replied with a shrug, “Everyone eats chicken.”
In this age of micro-aggressions, appropriations, and intersectionality, you can go crazy worrying how someone might misinterpret your decent intentions.

“Everyone eats chicken.”
In this age of micro-aggressions, appropriations, and intersectionality, you can go crazy worrying how someone might misinterpret your decent intentions.

Very well put!!!!!!

I think we spend too much time & energy worrying about how some stranger might interpret an image rather than considering it an image of two people sitting on a curb.

I think we spend too much time & energy worrying about how some stranger might interpret an image rather than considering it an image of two people sitting on a curb.

WELL SAID!!! Earns the Winner badge from me. Cuts right through the BS.

Most reactions

Back