love is a dog from hell

motcon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
group-11.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
the title of a collection of poems by Charles Bukowski. if you've read any of it, you'll probably immediately understand what human elements i'm trying to convey here. i'm interested in any thoughts on composition, tech, mood creation, etc...

B_G.jpg

never read the collection. but here's what comes to mind, and i'm free associating here so if i make no sense, just ignore me and scroll down to the next comment- you'll be sure to get alot for this one:

i gotta believe you clipped the chin on purpose... hmmm....
a girl is on his mind. poor guy- can't have her for some reason? is she out of reach? emotionally he's lost at sea; he broods...

very power image. composition outstanding. placement of the glasses draws the viewer's eye right to the subject's eye; it's almost like looking into his mood through his glasses.

again, i'm assuming you wanted the harsh shadows, for they add to the overall mood and i like them because of it. did you use an umbrella with a silver lining?

so, you gonna provide a link to the collection, or at least share some of your favorite lines with us? if not, you're gonna force me to go look the guy up, 'cause now i'm curious....

I am enjoying the fact that the woman's eyes are out of the image...makes it so much more abstract. There she is, but not really; it is a suggestion of her.

Uh-huh. :cheers: <clink> !

Well done.

i'll reply to previous comments, but first i will share some of his work.

alone with everybody
the flesh covers the bone
and they put a mind
in there and
sometimes a soul,
and the women break
vases against the walls
and the men drink too
much
and nobody finds the
one
but they keep
looking
crawling in and out
of beds.
flesh covers
the bone and the
flesh searches
for more than
flesh.
there's no chance
at all:
we are all trapped
by a singular fate.
nobody ever finds
the one.
the city dump fills
the junkyard fills
the madhouses fill
the hospitals fill
the graveyards fill
nothing else
fills

** note: the periods (.) between are mine..to accurately space his work as hitting 'return' will not allow that on this forum)

trapped
don't undress my love
you might find a mannequin;
don't undress the mannequin
you might find
my love
she's long ago
forgotten me.
she's trying on a new
hat
and looks more the
coquette
than ever.
she is a
child
and a mannequin
and
death.
i can't hate
that.
she didn't do
anything unusual.
i only wanted her
to.

thanks, Terri. *clink* baby, *clink*.

Osmer, you basically picked up on exactly what i wanted to convey....

Osmer_Toby said:
i gotta believe you clipped the chin on purpose... hmmm....
a girl is on his mind.

dead on. same reason i clipped her eyes and left his...

Osmer_Toby said:
poor guy- can't have her for some reason? is she out of reach? emotionally he's lost at sea; he broods...
he 'has' her, but he's not quite sure what 'having' is. is she out of reach? he is indeed lost.

Osmer_Toby said:
placement of the glasses draws the viewer's eye right to the subject's eye; it's almost like looking into his mood through his glasses.

you are quite perceptive, which requires a bit of introspection. i admire that.

Osmer_Toby said:
again, i'm assuming you wanted the harsh shadows, for they add to the overall mood and i like them because of it. did you use an umbrella with a silver lining?

i'll be happy to give the entire set up, but here is what it basically is:
main light diffused 45 degrees from camera axis. fill light 2/3 stop less than main reflected off of a gold reflector. the shadows are definitely there, but i don't think they are 'harsh'. that's why i used a gold reflection; it softens them up quite a bit.

thanks for the comments. i realize that this is a photog forum, but most of you know how/why i shoot......the soul...and Bukowski is elemental.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back