Low budget lighting kit?..

BrandonSCMedia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay everyone :wink: I am ready to purchase my first lighting kit! I've looked around and seen some stuff i could get individually but i would much rather prefer getting it all in one bundle. I'm looking to spend about 200 maybe 300 dollars on a quality lighting kit, Any suggestions?

What have you looked at? Do you want speed lights or monolights? What type of shoots would you use it on? I'd suggest a strobist setup for the beginner. Google strobist--you'll find a blog. Click the link that brings you to "lighting 101" or something like that.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd go to Adorama.com and look at the FLashpoint 320M monolights; build or buy a kit based around those monolights. Spend what you can afford. Get a softbox, or two, and two umbrellas in around 43-inch, white with black backing reflecting or "convertible" style; a light stand for each light. Buy the Adorama Flashpoint barn doors and grid, the Universal set that adapts to various sized-reflectors; it works GREAT on Speedotron 7-inch reflectors, and will work on the FLashpoint 320M's standard, 7-inch reflector.

Many options. If you want REALLY cheap...you can go to Home Depot. They sell a halogen work lamp with stand. As long as you have access to an outlet, it puts out tremendous light. You'll need a modifier (scrim or big 5-in-1 reflector) b/c of the power of the lamp. And you won't want to set anything right next to it or the heat will start a fire. But it's $30 or less (I believe for 2). And no, I'm not being ridiculous, I've shot with it before.

Next option up the expense chain would be to cobble together a YongNuo speed light, a stand (say...cowboy studio), a cheap umbrella soft box, with an adaptor (to connect the speed light to the top of the stand as well as the umbrella-box). You can buy that entire collection of gear new on Amazon for $100 (but it's just one-light). Variations on this would be speed lights on stands shooting through scrims or with light modifiers like Fongs on them or filters (which would be more portable but less effective than soft boxes).

Next option up the expense chain would be to buy a kit. Cowboy Studio and others (all on Amazon) have kits where you can buy 1-2 stands, umbrellas, continuous lighting (not really great) or cheap strobes with a stand and even a backdrop. Depending up on the components you buy, they're available for $170-$500 (for multiple umbrellas, strobe, stand with backdrop).

"Quality Light Kit"? There's the rub. If it stays in your studio (and you aren't schlepping it around or taking it down and putting it up continuously) and aren't doing multiple shoots per week, most of the Cowboy stuff will usually be okay for a couple of years. But if this is going to travel or get frequent use or setup and take down, then $200-$300 isn't in the ballpark for a quality soft box, stand, and near-professional quality strobe.

I'd go to Adorama.com and look at the FLashpoint 320M monolights; build or buy a kit based around those monolights. Spend what you can afford. Get a softbox, or two, and two umbrellas in around 43-inch, white with black backing reflecting or "convertible" style; a light stand for each light. Buy the Adorama Flashpoint barn doors and grid, the Universal set that adapts to various sized-reflectors; it works GREAT on Speedotron 7-inch reflectors, and will work on the FLashpoint 320M's standard, 7-inch reflector.

I have a friend who has brand new Calumet Genesis 200 kits. They have a sticker on the box they are worth $167 a piece, he has 2 of them. He said he would give me both kits for $200.00. Lights, stands and umbrellas. What are your thoughts around this product? I know they arent professional grade. I have no lights now and thought if I got these to practice a little with, I can upgrade to Elinchrom I believe they share the same mounts. SO theory would be somewhere down the road to use the as my backlighting or highlights and get a higher watt Elinchrom for the main lighht later on. Are these Calumets worth it? Thanks!

Last edited:

I have a friend who has brand new Calumet Genesis 200 kits. They have a sticker on the box they are worth $167 a piece, he has 2 of them. He said he would give me both kits for $200.00. Lights, stands and umbrellas. What are your thoughts around this product? I know they arent professional grade. I have no lights now and thought if I got these to practice a little with, I can upgrade to Elinchrom I believe they share the same mounts. SO theory would be somewhere down the road to use the as my backlighting or highlights and get a higher watt Elinchrom for the main lighht later on. Are these Calumets worth it? Thanks!

YES, the Genesis 200 is another very good, entry-level studio flash. BUY IT, NOW!!!

Yes, the upgrade to ELinchrom via Genesis (the reflector mount) is a good path. I think the price he's offering is a "friend price", very fair. I would snap it up, immediately.

YES, the Genesis 200 is another very good, entry-level studio flash. BUY IT, NOW!!!

Yes, the upgrade to ELinchrom via Genesis (the reflector mount) is a good path. I think the price he's offering is a "friend price", very fair. I would snap it up, immediately.
THANKS! I just called him and told him I want them. Glad you responded as I was unsure if they were any good or not! Also happy with the thought I can upgrade latter to Elinchrom! THANKS AGAIN!

Hey Brandon,

Instead of purchasing an expensive lighting kit, you should try Flekt. The camera accessory gives you the ability to have studio-quality lighting at a fraction of the cost. Plus with our different inserts, you can make your photos warmer or create the perfect lighting in the dark. Check it out here: http://bit.ly/FlektKS

Best of luck to you for finding the right lighting system!

What do you mean by a lighting kit? If you're looking for something to do studio-type portraits, I can't think of anything quality for $300.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back