Low-light Wedding Tips

This is what I wrote: "I am contacting you to see if there is any possibility that I could photograph some weddings with you. I have recently started up a photography company in Clark as a side job to my main career in construction management.

Your first mistake started within the first 5 words of your line above. When they receive an email from you, they see 3 things.

1. Someone in their area trying to steal business from them in their already saturated market.

2. Someone that has nothing to offer.

3. Someone that doesn't care enough to shake their hand in person, likely because of little to no people skills... likely THE MOST IMPORTANT skill any wedding photographer needs.

The first time, I researched at least 30-40 local wedding photographers, found the top 3-4 and THESE were the ones that I wanted to mentor for... not just anyone. I did not write them a stupid email, I went in there and introduced myself to them. I laid down the following:

I was NOT a threat to their business and I proved it.

I had people skills, and I proved it.

I had limitless passion and I proved it.

I was not there to waste their time, I had mastered the basics of ISO, aperture and shutter as well as on and off camera basic lighting as well as complete functionality of my camera and lighting, and I proved it.

I showed them that I was willing to do what it took, and I proved it.

I showed them that there was something that *I* would do for *them*, and I proved it.

On my first interview, the #1 guy on my list was Mr Paranoid. He was through with me in about 10 minutes. On my second try I hit on someone that wanted to see my equipment and work. We talked and setup a 2nd meeting and I brought my basics along as well as m laptop and a 5 page layout in prints of my best works. We clicked, he accepted me but under such incredible restrictions that the only thing I would get from the relationship was knowledge... no portfolio, no flickr, no sharng, NOTHING... just knowledge. I agreed. Whenever I mentioned that here on this board, it seemed to piss of a few people and they thought I as BSing. I do not BS... but I do respect agreements that I make.

The 2nd wedding photographer placed a post in the Montreal Strobist group and that one was easier. He posted and asked for an email. Me and a dozen or more returned the email. I just did the same thing again, and here I am with the chance of doing 2 e-sessions and 3 weddings in the last 3 weeks.

Why did you even have to include the comment above? Did it add anything to this conversation?

You can take it as a put down if you wish... when I was told this, I took it as motivation to learn the basics... and so I did. Consider this... if you cannot take this baby level tap in the shoulder now, you sure as hell are not going to be able to have someone look in your face and scream at you in public saying your work is sh!t and to shape up or find something easier like they did to me. If you think I was tough... you are not ready to even be out in the work force, much less be in a situation where someone's LIFE MEMORIES are in your hands. You see, there are hundreds of people behind you that *are* ready. That is reality in today's market.

Bluntly put, if you want to drive at NASCAR and win, the least one can do is learn the difference between the gas pedal and the brakes. ;)

Like someone told me to my face in front of 3 couples... suck it up or leave... lol. I sucked it up... and fast. :meh:

Did it add to the post? It sure as hell did! :mrgreen: It is a small sample that you need to know more than how to press the shutter button. You need to be ready to accept criticism and you need to be less whiney (thats called maturity and I spoke about that earlier).

You don't have to respect me, I do not care becuase I am not here to hand-hold anyone, but if you respect the seriousness of this situation, you take anything negative... and turn it into your positive.

Last edited:
I gotta tell you Jerry, I feel you offer up some good advice on this forum. But your manner of speaking is just plain garbage. You don't always have to be so curt right off the bat. You talk about people skills and the like, but you do not show any on the forums. I do intend to contact them initially through email, so that I don't waste my time driving all over the state to reach them, if they show interest, my next step would absolutely be a phone call and to set up a meeting. Anyways, thanks for your opinion and I sure hope you would take my advice in that you should work on being a little bit more polite and a little less arrogant because as I'm sure you are aware, many people will dismiss you on that premise alone.

Most reactions

Back