Lowel I-Light vs Speedlights for on location

gl600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,
I just watched a video of Yervant from "Masters of Wedding Photography 2" and I saw that he was using a Lowel I-Light (tungsten) for his on location shoots. I was wondering what the benefit would be to use a video light like the Lowel I-Light instead of using flash?
Here is the Lowel site in case you wanted to check it out:
i-light & id-light

(In the video Yervant says "I have discovered that with flash lights that it does not work very well with digital photographs especially with available light. So I have introduced video light... just give a bit of tungsten light to the subject make their faces warm, the eyes glow a little bit and just bring the best of them..." I don't quite understand what his point was???)

I would suggest using Google to search on the term Dennis Reggie + foofing

Dennis Reggie

Using speedlight flash for weddings has been elevated to a high art by serious, competent professionals. The idea that flash does not combine well with daylight or incandescent lighting is pretty simplistic, but then consider the video's purpose, which is to show how to use Lowell's lighting equipment.

Somebody needs to help sell Lowell's lighting equipment,right?

There are some benefits to use video lights. One being that you can add light just where you want it very easily (you can see where the light is going) and you can use that light to add warmth and/or catch lights.
It can also make it easier to focus in very dark situations.

There is certainly very little that you could do with one of these, that you couldn't do with a flash...it's just a matter of knowing what you're doing and being creative.

2 other things that I can imagine it can be useful for, now that I think about it, is:
1) It's continuous, obviously, so you can take a burst of shots without having to be concerned about recycle times
and
2) In low light situations it can keep the person's pupils nice and small (assuming that you do not want them to be dilated).

On BHvideo.com, Lowel ID-Light the models with Bescor NMH54 NiMH Battery is discontinued. Somebody knows why? The battery is to heavy? Is just a though because this are the only models with 1 hour tun time @ 50W.
Thank you.

Most reactions

Back