Lowepro Slingshot 200 or 300?

bhop

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm probably going to buy one of the Lowepro Slingshot bags. Either the 200 or 300.. I just don't know which would fit my stuff. Maybe you guys can help?

Generally I want to carry the following around when i'm on 'photo patrol'

-Nikon d70 (usually with 50mm or 24mm nikkor attached)
-50mm
-24mm (as stated above, one is usually attached)
-kit lens 18-70mm

-Pentax K1000 with 50mm *loaded with b/w film* (soon to be replaced by Nikon FE with 50mm)
-28mm prime for pentax (i can usually fit this in a jacket or cargo pants pocket)

-maybe a couple accesories, like lens tissue, brush, extra film, etc.

(sometimes I take these)
-Holga + couple 120 rolls since 12 shots goes fast
-sb600 speedlight, I have the case for it attached to the strap on my current bag, so it's kind of attached externally.

I'll be getting a Tamron 200-500 zoom in the mail soon. I don't know if that'll fit in either bag.. but let's just throw it in for kicks..

So any thoughts? Is the Slingshot 200 big enough to stuff those things in? Or should I go for the 300? (which seems kinda big on a person in pics)

thanks in advance

I've got the AW200 and this is what I can fit in it:

Main compartment
D80 with 24-70mm attached
3x primes - 35, 50 & 85mm
TC17E II teleconverter
lens hood for 12-24mm

Main compartment inside pocket
ML-L3 wireless remote
5 2GB SD cards - one in the barrel

Top compartment
SB-800
1x EN-EL battery
2x 77mm filters (CPL & ND)
extra strap and ball bungee

Front pocket
MC-DC1 cable release
microfiber cloth
pen & small notepad
micro flashlight
gum
odds & sods

External
Bogen monopod in loop on the side
Lowepro S&F lens case 1 (for the 12-24mm) in loop on front pocket

I also can carry other lenses (in cases) and a tripod with their straps and it will weigh about 30lbs / 13.5kG.

If loaded down like this and on a day hike, your right clavicle will become soar. If lightened for the bare essentials, it is a great bag for hiking or street walking.

Hope this helps.

That does help. Now i'm starting to think the 200 might be enough for me.

One other suggestion to make is to take all the gear that you would be carrying to a local camera shop that carries the Lowepro. See how much you can stuff in it and how comfortable it is. Surely you can locate one in LA.

One other suggestion to make is to take all the gear that you would be carrying to a local camera shop that carries the Lowepro. See how much you can stuff in it and how comfortable it is. Surely you can locate one in LA.

Yeah, Freestyle Photo is 3 blocks away. They've got a 200, but not a 300, so I wasn't able to compare. From just looking at the 200 without my gear, it looked kinda small, but thought someone that owns one might have a better idea.

For me.... the weakness of the slingshot is that all the weight is on one shoulder. For long trips, I doubt I would be happy with a fully loaded 300.

For me.... the weakness of the slingshot is that all the weight is on one shoulder. For long trips, I doubt I would be happy with a fully loaded 300.

That's why I'm looking at the Trekker models before my next camping trips.

I think the slingshot is great to have as well for those days for street walking and you want to have quick access to your camera without fumbling about. The waist strap does help to secure and distribute the load when you're on the move.

I have the 300. My wife showed me how to adjust the waist strap to lift the weight off my shoulder, and it works wonders! (she's been backpacking). If you don't adjust the waist strap right, it won't help.

I saw the AW200 after purchasing my 300. It is VERY much smaller. I was considering the same thing at the time...but went with the 300 so I could fit clothes/snacks in there too. Now, only 3 months later, I have found too many things to put in the bag, that I could use an AW400 if it existed!

Just announced from Lowepro...The Slingshot 400.:lol:
I bought the 200 first only to find i needed more room. However I still use the 200 when I don't need everything. It's a nice design. Yes you do need to use the waist strap properly to disperse the weight for the 300.

I have a 200. I don't think you can fit all you mentioned in a 200. I would opt for the 300. I like the design. At track meets I can change lenses on the run!

I've got the same question re the 200, but I can't find anyone in Australia carrying one, so I can't try it out.

I need to carry a Canon Digital Rebel XTi with 70mm lens, 300mm lens, monopod, 430 EX Flash, and the usual small bits and pieces ( cleaner, remote cable, charger etc ).

Based on what I've read here, I think this will fit OK, but can anyone confirm this and let me know -
1. Is there any room for a future 3rd lens ( might be buying a macro lens someday ) ?
2. With this fairly light load, is the slingshot comfortable, or is a regular backpack preferable ?

I'm going to have to buy via mail order, so any real world advice / experience is greatly appreciated

TIA

I need to carry a Canon Digital Rebel XTi with 70mm lens, 300mm lens, monopod, 430 EX Flash, and the usual small bits and pieces ( cleaner, remote cable, charger etc ).

The main compartment is about 9" (23cm) deep and the dividers (4x) can be arranged in a number of configurations (velcroed). I have a 300mm that is 9 1/2" (24+cm) and I think with the flexibility of the fabric material it can fit (haven't tried, just a SWAG). As I mentioned above, I carry my flash in the top compartment. Compare the physical size of yours to the SB-800. Also as I mentioned above, if you pack it judiciously, it is comfortable. But with the warning that packing it to the gills and an all day outing (walkabout), your right clavicle will get soar if not rested from time to time.

Have a check with Garbz (TPF member from Brisbane). He may know some avenues for on-line ordering. Do a member search and private message (PM) him.

Good luck.

I think I'm about to upgrade to the 200. I bought the 100 when I first got my D40 thinking that I wouldn't need to carry any more than one extra lens and a flash. Now I'm about to pick up a couple more lens' and I have no where to put them. I have a buddy that works at best buy here in Cincinnati and He can get me the 200 for $60 so I'm going to go ahead and pick one up.

The 300 is VERY big. I bought it, but I don't use it.

Love my 100, but I use much smaller cameras than most of you...

what bags have a good tripod mount or carrying ring?

It looks like only the lowepro mini trekker does from my searches, and like everyone has noted, backpacks IMO are a PITA, much rather have a side sling or shoulder bag; but, with a tripod, might be cumbersome.

I'm attempting to get the Manfrotto 785HSB, which is 14" inches folded, maybe I should just get a bag that long and cram it in the bottom?

Any ideas for you hikers and trekkers on options with a mini tripod??

Most reactions

Back