Lowepro slingshot camera bag.... Anyone have one?

jeff000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a pelican case that I use for camera and gear for the most part. But think something that makes it easier to carry my stuff when just out and about would be nice.

I was looking at the slingshot at best buy today and it seems like a pretty good pack, might feel like a fool with it on my back, but whatever lol.

How well does it work to carry basics to last for a little hiking trip or outing? Or one that could carry a couple sandwiches and a couple bottles of water, maybe get a grey card/folding reflector in there too.

Thanks in advance.

I have the lowepro slingshot pack, the small one. I carry it with me every day, and I sling it across my shoulder and chest when in the woods, etc...

I carry my camera with me everywhere I go. When I am not actually shooting, I carry it on my right shoulder. In the stores, bank, library, work, etc...

I would suggest not getting the small one, it really is very limited in what you can carry.

Look at my avatar, that is me in the snowy woods carrying the pack.

I bought the slingshot 200 a few weeks back ....carry a 40D with grip 50mm ..17-85mm ...and a 70-200L ..the top pocket could carry food I guess but doubt if you would get bottled water in there as well ...300 was too big for my needs as I would only fill it up with stuff I wouldn't use

The new versions of the slingshot have a few nice additions to them. the 102,202 & 302 (I think there's a 302) have a tripod holder and the top has a little more room according to Lowepro's info.

I'll be needing a new camera bag, was thinking about a shoulder bag but like the idea of the slingshot. I looked online at both the Lowepro and Tamrac versions but I'm thinking that I may just spring for the Lowepro.

But of course there is the dork factor ;):lol: but I'm thinking look at how many people carry back packs or belt packs for carrying whatever and the slingshot idea is close to a back pack with the added convenience of not having to take it off to take a shot.

Yup... Fits 1dmII + 24-105L + 100-400L + flash. Its tight but it fits. I use the pelican 1510 only during transit (flights/buses etc) and a camera bag once I reach my destination.

130196320.jpg

I have the 200, I find it hurts my back after awhile, and I desperately want to switch shoulders lol. I love the easy access though! I am thinking of getting a backpack style bag for those longer treks

I have the 100 (first bag I purchased) and it's great for everyday stuff, however I will need to purchase a larger bag soon.

carries my XSi with lens attached, one other lens, battery charger, etc. and flash unit in the top compartment.

good for day trips if you know exactly what you will need (1-2 lenses).

Or one that could carry a couple sandwiches and a couple bottles of water, maybe get a grey card/folding reflector in there too.

This would be my ideal bag as well, but so far, I haven't found a sling-style bag that would handle this very well. I'd be very much interested if anyone has any suggestions...

I have the 200, I find it hurts my back after awhile, and I desperately want to switch shoulders lol. I love the easy access though! I am thinking of getting a backpack style bag for those longer treks

When you wear the pack, do you sling it over your shoulder and chest? If you are wearing it over just the shoulder, it may cause some discomfort. By putting your arm and shoulder through the strap, the weight is much better distributed and will most likely cause you less discomfort.
And the pack is more stable as well.

The slingshot is much more comfortable when you put your arm and head through (the way it's designed to be worn).

I have been looking at the Tamrac 5547 Adventure 7 Backpack

seems to have more room with space above for either more photo gear or personal items. The Adventure 9 is even a little bigger with compartment for laptop or notebook if you're travelling.

One of these will probably be my next purchase.

Yup.. Backpacks are more comfortable but for regular use they are a royal pain. They make it very difficult to quickly access your equipment. It is for this reason, that my expedition 5 almost never sees use in the field simply a way to carry bulk equipment during transit to a destination and stays in the hotel room. Even then.. the backpack is slowly being replaced by the more protective Pelican case.

I see that Tamrac has a newer product called the aero speed packs which seem to be hybrid solution.... might be something to look into. For me, I've given up on photo backpacks opting for either the Pelican for transport, a "real" (more comfortable) hiking backpack with equipment stored inside in individual cases, or shoulder bags for daily runs. I just see them as too much of a compromise on all sides; not as comfortable as real backpacks, not as easily accessible as photo shoulder bags, and not as protective as hard cases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back