Lumopro or SB600?

Blake.Oney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm gonna be getting a flash very soon. I'm kind of stuck between the LP160 and the sb600. I have the D3000 right now, so if I have read correctly either way I'm gonna be stuck in manual mode, which is fine, because I'd like to learn that with a flash. I am also really interested in off camera lighting. The only time I would really use the flash on the camera is for snap type shots at parties or something like that. Sooo, which would be better?

I have held the LP160 (when I went down to Mpex) and I liked the feel of my SB-600 better. But If you need to save $50 for a set of triggers it is a fine flash(it even has an optical slave that the SB-600 does not have). I just like the digital readout and the +/- buttons.

SB600 on camera ... on the d3000, isn't a manual flash. Not sure about the LP160. Off camera, they will both be manual.

Personally, I own a d3000 and just purchased an sb600, best purchase I've made recently for my camera. I debated a full manual flash, but having the TTL to lean on REALLY helps for when I'm ready to go manual.

If you are looking for a cheap manual flash, I've heard the YongNuo YN460II is a decent starter flash and almost half the price of the other flash you mentioned. They have a 560 version which is more powerful (b/w the power of sb600 and 800)

That will be my next flash, when I'm ready for two lol.

I read the review on strobist for the yn560 and there are a few people that are getting them and the zoom motor isn't working. I've still thought about it, though cause it seems like a really good flash. I think I may do what you did. Go for sb600 so I can use it auto on camera and learn how it does it's thing, and start kind of slipping into the manual off camera stuff. Then when I'm ready for a second flash I'll go for the YN or LP.

take a look at the vivitar 285hv
powerfull, test button, a metal hot shoe mount is available with a pc port,
has a power cord that cost around 15 bucks for indoor use.
zoom head is manual so it doesnt break. there is also a auto feature that use a thyristor and use the reflected light from the subject to set power. kinda usefull and it works really good once you get used to it.
and its has proven to be a workhose, i recommend that flash to everyone....

i have 2 sb-600 and i leave them in the case and use the vivitars instaid.

a really good thing about the sb-600 is that you will be able to use it oncamera with TTL.

Last edited:
Just so you know, all brands have 'bad eggs' from the factory. My sb600 had to be returned b/c the TTL settings on the 35mm zoom were not working and it shot at 100% power ONLY on that zoom setting. Weird, but puts things into perspective about the thoughts on 'big companies don't have issues' lol

Yea, I saw that. I also like the LP because it can be synced with a 3.5mm audio jack, which is awesome.

I have 2 LP160's.... I haven't had any other flash, but I like them! It forces me to actually learn how to use a flash instead of letting the camera do it for me.

The only thing I don't like is that the power and zoom buttons only cycle in one direction... so if you want to go from 1/2 power to 1/1 power, you have to cycle down through all the other powers until you get back to the 1/1. Same thing with the zoom. It's only mildly annoying at this point.

The only thing I don't like is that the power and zoom buttons only cycle in one direction... so if you want to go from 1/2 power to 1/1 power, you have to cycle down through all the other powers until you get back to the 1/1. Same thing with the zoom. It's only mildly annoying at this point.
I have this flash, and I HATE that also, they could have put a couple more buttons on it for $170. To go down power is one button click to go up power is like 8. Other than that I have had no issues. Yes, using manual mode takes some getting used to, and it's a lot of trial and error. Remember when in M mode on the camera TTL is useless. However some pros (http://neilvn.com/tangents/) like the TTL features and use them when time is a factor. If money is no object the SB900 is the answer. If money is the question I'd get the LP160 umbrella, stand, and mount for the price of the SB-600. You will get MUCH better shots with off camera flash. Plus the LP160 has a lot more power than the SB600.

dont forget about the new SB-700 :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back