Lunar (Moon) Photography Guide, by Astrostu

Alrighty folks, a new version is posted. Updates in this version (2.3) include minor grammatical changes, a new addition on focusing with Live View, two new sub-sections in the Things to Avoid, and an updated Histogram image of what your moon shot "should" look like.

I am new and I will try your manual! Thank you!

Have you tried about star picturing? I mean, by modifying come lenas to take stars picturing with telescope or whatever?

KmH said:
Ooohhh!

Did someone actually use the forum search feature?

Sadly no.
It got referenced in another thread. This is excellent information though.

nice tutorial. I have a question about one paragraph though:

Earth's atmosphere is turbulent. It moves around, and it moves in different directions at different
elevations within the atmosphere. This is what makes stars "twinkle." The ability to resolve -see fine details -objects through Earth's atmosphere is defined by the term "seeing."

if it's because of the atmosphere, how come the stars twinkle but the planets do not?

nice tutorial. I have a question about one paragraph though:

Earth's atmosphere is turbulent. It moves around, and it moves in different directions at different
elevations within the atmosphere. This is what makes stars "twinkle." The ability to resolve -see fine details -objects through Earth's atmosphere is defined by the term "seeing."

if it's because of the atmosphere, how come the stars twinkle but the planets do not?

Planets are larger. You can actually see planets as a "disk" through a telescope. If you point a telescope at a star you still only see a single point.

BTW, planets also suffer from "seeing" problems... they become distorted. To "image" a planet usually requires a video camera (it can be done with a still camera), you take hundreds of frames, through 80% of them away and then "stack" the best ones.

Put a penny in the bottom of a swimming pool and look at it when the water in the pool is completely still... you can clearly see the penny... if you magnified it, you could read the date on the penny. NOW... have someone go make a bunch of waves while you try to look at the penny. You'll be able to see that it's there... but you wont see it "clearly" and certainly wouldn't be able to read the date. That's what we mean when we talk about "seeing" conditions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back