Luxury Model homes for photo shoots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me disclose, I'm very frank and straight forward, and of course a noob, so let me apologize first. I'm quite surprised at the lack of business imagination coming from a group of people in the business of such. I've been a business owner over 15 years and am a member of other business message boards, and have not gotten such negative feedback on the "idea" subject. It seems everyone is doing the same thing as the next guy. This is usually a sign of the inability to either think out of the box, or competition protection.

One reason my main business is successful is because everyone else was doing the same thing and fighting over crumbs.

Cgipson1, "No.. I usually try to stick to realistic ideas!

I never asked you if you thought it was a good idea. I never asked anyone here on how to do it, or how to get into the house (schwettlyens). What I asked was if anyone had tried this or had success? I mentioned the agents were "bitchy" because I have experience in the RE business. Yes, it's a stereotype, because it's a generalization and well known fact most in the industry admit to.

@Schwettlylens: You didn't even own the house? Of course you're not gonna get the code. I think you should read the original post to understand.

Maybe you've had a problem with women because of your arrogance? Just sayin'.... So you think people are unimaginative because they bring up legitimate business issues like insurance? And that's somehow bad? If you're shooting on someone's private property, you need more than the real estate agent's permission. You're gonna need the property owner's permission. If you are using people's property, decor, etc, bringing in "models", equipment, etc you better be carrying the appropriate insurance in case of some sort of "accident." Of course, you want to have all your business licenses in place too. But if you think that people are incapable of thinking outside the box because they ask you about being insured, you're not very business-minded anyway. But then, if you can't get along with all the women in real estate, you've already got such huge limits on your potential client base... You could also pay to use a space and not give away photography too!

Yes.. and you dont own the house. If the agent agrees, he or she probably need to be at your shoot.

Let me disclose, I'm very frank and straight forward, and of course a noob, so let me apologize first. I'm quite surprised at the lack of business imagination coming from a group of people in the business of such. I've been a business owner over 15 years and am a member of other business message boards, and have not gotten such negative feedback on the "idea" subject. It seems everyone is doing the same thing as the next guy. This is usually a sign of the inability to either think out of the box, or competition protection.

One reason my main business is successful is because everyone else was doing the same thing and fighting over crumbs.

I never asked you if you thought it was a good idea. I never asked anyone here on how to do it, or how to get into the house (schwettlyens). What I asked was if anyone had tried this or had success? I mentioned the agents were "bitchy" because I have experience in the RE business. Yes, it's a stereotype, because it's a generalization and well known fact most in the industry admit to.

@Schwettlylens: You didn't even own the house? Of course you're not gonna get the code. I think you should read the original post to understand.

Maybe you've had a problem with women because of your arrogance? Just sayin'.... So you think people are unimaginative because they bring up legitimate business issues like insurance? And that's somehow bad? If you're shooting on someone's private property, you need more than the real estate agent's permission. You're gonna need the property owner's permission. If you are using people's property, decor, etc, bringing in "models", equipment, etc you better be carrying the appropriate insurance in case of some sort of "accident." Of course, you want to have all your business licenses in place too. But if you think that people are incapable of thinking outside the box because they ask you about being insured, you're not very business-minded anyway. But then, if you can't get along with all the women in real estate, you've already got such huge limits on your potential client base... You could also pay to use a space and not give away photography too!

Once again the communication breaks down. I think you're easily offended. You and Schwettylens' keep talking about stuff that has already been handled and is redundantly not in question. But let me go ahead and enlighten the both of you, because as a noob, from reading your posts, if you're my competition.....I've got it made

1. Gen Liability ins: $500,000 per occurance
2. Errors and omissions: $100,000 per year per occurance
3. Supra key access to RE property (as explained time and again of passed RE business)

Empty real estate property used for modeling, and even shows like The Bachelorette is not a new concept. Shwettlyns is obviousely not thinking "business" when you mentions that the agent is gonna make such a big profit, why wouldnt the agent just pay for the photos anyway. That's comical. That's like saying, why not just rent the studio for $500 a day, afterall, I'm gonna sell the photos to a magazine anyway. I'm curious, do you guys make money in photography, or is it a hobby for you ?

P.S in the time i started this thread, and you're diligence in trying to debunk this idea, I've already set up a shoot at a furnished house with a pool in barter. Looks like I answered my own question. But thanks for chiming in anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
Post the shots, or it didn't happen! :)

Post the shots, or it didn't happen! :)

Why would I? To thumb my nose at you? I could post anything and say it was there. In the short time I've been here I've quickly made my determination as to which players here are the real deal, and who just likes to hear themselves talk. You and two others are the latter.

I recommend any newbie coming here for advice read the threads thoroughly before you accept mentorship from some here. Don't be afraid to follow thru with your business imagination. Talent grows with failed experience.

Let me answer this way: A home my sister and I own was recently put on the market. If I found out the agent was allowing a photographer to use it for reasons other than speciflcally photographing the home it would be the immediate end of that contract. And, yes, the agent did hire a professional photographer to shoot the house for the listing. The cost was around $250 I think (it comes out of her commission so I don't care) and the person did a pretty good job on them.

Hey Shwettylens,

I went to your site and saw your shots. Must say you have much talent. I'm not interested in weddings because of the headaches, but you seem to have it worked out. I'm curious, what does schwettylens mean?

Oh, and for the rest, I'm not saying you guys don't have artful talent. I've seen some of your work here and am inspired. I'm just talking business. I see this field as business first, it's just the way i roll.

Let me answer this way: A home my sister and I own was recently put on the market. If I found out the agent was allowing a photographer to use it for reasons other than speciflcally photographing the home it would be the immediate end of that contract. And, yes, the agent did hire a professional photographer to shoot the house for the listing. The cost was around $250 I think (it comes out of her commission so I don't care) and the person did a pretty good job on them.

OK, let me explain this again. Maybe I didn't write it very comprehesively.

Scenario:

Your (luxury) house is for sale. You need great shots of the property for the listing ad. You don't live there, but the home is staged with furniture . I offer to shoot the house for free in barter for my shoot with model. Your agent OBVIOuSELY has your consent to have this done in place of saving on closing costs. Homeowner and photographer sign agreement. Photographer carries liability insurance, yada yada yada.

Has noone done this before?! Hmmm, this is sounding more adventurous.

I am thinking - that provided the house is empty and/or staged, it actually is sounding interesting to me. For me, this would be a huge savings in costs to not have to pay for a hotel room.

That said - you are acting a little pompous and talking down to people on the forum here. Your statements regarding female agents are totally rude. You did not fully explain yourself in your initial posts, so you left the door open for confusion. And, that's the way that I roll.

Let me explain my position. Maybe I didn't write it very comprehensively.

I don't know you, I don't know what you plan on doing, I don't care what the agent has to pay for the photographs since it isn't my expense. In short: Why would I ever agree to it?

Scenario:

Your (luxury) house is for sale. You need great shots of the property for the listing ad. You don't live there, but the home is staged with furniture . I offer to shoot the house for free in barter for my shoot with model. Your agent OBVIOuSELY has your consent to have this done in place of saving on closing costs. Homeowner and photographer sign agreement. Photographer carries liability insurance, yada yada yada.

Has noone done this before?! Hmmm, this is sounding more adventurous.

well, no, it's NOT obvious that the realtor and owner have agreed to this, or even that the owner has any knowledge of what's going on. since you aren't dealing with the owner but the agent, for all you know, he could be trying to save a buck and conveniently forget to tell the owner. and the owner might be interested in just what sort of photography is going to be shot on his property. if your calender is so empty that it's a better deal for you to give away your time and images for the small cost of a rental, maybe you are undervaluing your services. if an idea like this hasn't caught on, there's usually a reason or two.

Once again the communication breaks down. I think you're easily offended. You and Schwettylens' keep talking about stuff that has already been handled and is redundantly not in question. But let me go ahead and enlighten the both of you, because as a noob, from reading your posts, if you're my competition.....I've got it made

3. Supra key access to RE property (as explained time and again of passed RE business)

Empty real estate property used for modeling, and even shows like The Bachelorette is not a new concept. Shwettlyns is obviousely not thinking "business" when you mentions that the agent is gonna make such a big profit, why wouldnt the agent just pay for the photos anyway. That's comical. That's like saying, why not just rent the studio for $500 a day, afterall, I'm gonna sell the photos to a magazine anyway. I'm curious, do you guys make money in photography, or is it a hobby for you ?

P.S in the time i started this thread, and you're diligence in trying to debunk this idea, I've already set up a shoot at a furnished house with a pool in barter. Looks like I answered my own question. But thanks for chiming in anyway

it's clear you rate the merit of someone's opinion based on whether they agree with you or not. took a peek at some of your other posts on this forum. you're new to photography. you wanna shoot nudes, and now you apparently have instantly developed the skills to shoot real estate photos too, an entirely different and specialized area of photography. These take different skill sets. And you also are talking about shooting bands. Another very different skill set. You ought to be concentrating on developing photo skills before you are offering services on a professional level. Sounds like you just want to shoot nudes without being able to afford to pay for locations. You'd be more successful here if you were just honest about that instead of acting like you're some business and artistic genius and we're all unimaginative failures. LOL. My guess is that you have no professional level real estate images for a portfolio anyway and if someone takes up your barter offer with no backup, they're gonna be disappointed. As for the band stuff, don't bother. People were really easy on you with the image you posted, but it's nowhere near even advanced amateur band photog quality. You talk about having a business mindset, but the reality is that you need the skills to back up your marketing claims or you're gonna spend a lot of time with unhappy customers and maybe even in court. Learn to shoot first; figure out what you have an aptitude for & you're actually good at, and then concentrate on improving. Then start a business.

I am thinking - that provided the house is empty and/or staged, it actually is sounding interesting to me. For me, this would be a huge savings in costs to not have to pay for a hotel room.

That said - you are acting a little pompous and talking down to people on the forum here. Your statements regarding female agents are totally rude. You did not fully explain yourself in your initial posts, so you left the door open for confusion. And, that's the way that I roll.

My pompous attitude and talking down to anyone were retorts to jabs takent on me. I think you only read what I wrote, therefore, you chimed in with you're own jab. The fact that made I sexist statements about female realtors should have been left out of the conversation. I was venting from my past experience in the RE indusrtry. I think I've made quite an impression here. I probably sound and look like the guy who played the ex-husband of Carla on Cheers; the hairy, ugly, sexist, pervert ;)

it's clear you rate the merit of someone's opinion based on whether they agree with you or not. took a peek at some of your other posts on this forum. you're new to photography. you wanna shoot nudes, and now you apparently have instantly developed the skills to shoot real estate photos too, an entirely different and specialized area of photography. These take different skill sets. And you also are talking about shooting bands. Another very different skill set. You ought to be concentrating on developing photo skills before you are offering services on a professional level. Sounds like you just want to shoot nudes without being able to afford to pay for locations. You'd be more successful here if you were just honest about that instead of acting like you're some business and artistic genius and we're all unimaginative failures. LOL. My guess is that you have no professional level real estate images for a portfolio anyway and if someone takes up your barter offer with no backup, they're gonna be disappointed. As for the band stuff, don't bother. People were really easy on you with the image you posted, but it's nowhere near even advanced amateur band photog quality. You talk about having a business mindset, but the reality is that you need the skills to back up your marketing claims or you're gonna spend a lot of time with unhappy customers and maybe even in court. Learn to shoot first; figure out what you have an aptitude for & you're actually good at, and then concentrate on improving. Then start a business.

I never said I was, nor pretended to be. Infact, I claimed newbie several times. I also NEVER said I was selling the photos nor claimed to have clients in wait. YOU said that. What you also said was "you apparently have instantly developed the skills to shoot real estate photos too, an entirely different and specialized area of photography", are you kidding me? I'm not painting the Mona Lisa, It's a freaking motionless building. A few good photos with good lighting and some touch up on software and tada! Paleze, get over it.

So maybe, I'm practicing my skills and building my portfolio. And maybe I thought, why not do it the best possible way by having the best back drops?

I'm glad I posted this question. Negative or not, the responses show that others in my area probably aren't doing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back