Luxury Model homes for photo shoots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to offer free photos of luxury furnished homes for sale to realtors for their lisitngs in return for the place to shoot models at. I've called about 4 agents so far with no luck. It doesnt mean they won't it's just that some of them take the pics themselves or have other arragements. Female RE agents aren't friendly either, infact they're pretty bitchy. I usually have friendlier conversations with male agents. This, of course, comes from my past real estate business experience.

Has anyone tried this, or had success?

Nope - I am pretty sure you sounded pompous in your first post. But, hey, maybe that's me just being "bitchy" and you can add "TPF females" to your list of bitchy people.

Once again the communication breaks down. I think you're easily offended. You and Schwettylens' keep talking about stuff that has already been handled and is redundantly not in question. But let me go ahead and enlighten the both of you, because as a noob, from reading your posts, if you're my competition.....I've got it made

1. Gen Liability ins: $500,000 per occurance
2. Errors and omissions: $100,000 per year per occurance
3. Supra key access to RE property (as explained time and again of passed RE business)

Empty real estate property used for modeling, and even shows like The Bachelorette is not a new concept. Shwettlyns is obviousely not thinking "business" when you mentions that the agent is gonna make such a big profit, why wouldnt the agent just pay for the photos anyway. That's comical. That's like saying, why not just rent the studio for $500 a day, afterall, I'm gonna sell the photos to a magazine anyway. I'm curious, do you guys make money in photography, or is it a hobby for you ?

P.S in the time i started this thread, and you're diligence in trying to debunk this idea, I've already set up a shoot at a furnished house with a pool in barter. Looks like I answered my own question. But thanks for chiming in anyway

it's clear you rate the merit of someone's opinion based on whether they agree with you or not. took a peek at some of your other posts on this forum. you're new to photography. you wanna shoot nudes, and now you apparently have instantly developed the skills to shoot real estate photos too, an entirely different and specialized area of photography. These take different skill sets. And you also are talking about shooting bands. Another very different skill set. You ought to be concentrating on developing photo skills before you are offering services on a professional level. Sounds like you just want to shoot nudes without being able to afford to pay for locations. You'd be more successful here if you were just honest about that instead of acting like you're some business and artistic genius and we're all unimaginative failures. LOL. My guess is that you have no professional level real estate images for a portfolio anyway and if someone takes up your barter offer with no backup, they're gonna be disappointed. As for the band stuff, don't bother. People were really easy on you with the image you posted, but it's nowhere near even advanced amateur band photog quality. You talk about having a business mindset, but the reality is that you need the skills to back up your marketing claims or you're gonna spend a lot of time with unhappy customers and maybe even in court. Learn to shoot first; figure out what you have an aptitude for & you're actually good at, and then concentrate on improving. Then start a business.

I never said I was, nor pretended to be. Infact, I claimed newbie several times. I also NEVER said I was selling the photos nor claimed to have clients in wait. YOU said that. What you also said was "you apparently have instantly developed the skills to shoot real estate photos too, an entirely different and specialized area of photography", are you kidding me? I'm not painting the Mona Lisa, It's a freaking motionless building. A few good photos with good lighting and some touch up on software and tada! Paleze, get over it.

So maybe, I'm practicing my skills and building my portfolio. And maybe I thought, why not do it the best possible way by having the best back drops?

I'm glad I posted this question. Negative or not, the responses show that others in my area probably aren't doing it.

no, but you are offering your services to real estate professionals in trade. my guess is that you're not telling them you know nothing about real estate or architectural photography. and your comment here to me reflects that lack of knowledge. it's written by a GWC who doesn't really know about photography. To photograph a property well and maximize its assets and minimize its flaws is a skill that some photographers do quite beautifully. If you don't have the equipment and know-how to do so professionally, you should at least get the understanding of what the art entails so you can hone those skills before you waste the time of realtors and property owners. It really isn't that easy. As a newbie at photography and processing, you are another GWC trying to run before he can crawl.

I'd like to offer free photos of luxury furnished homes for sale to realtors for their lisitngs in return for the place to shoot models at. I've called about 4 agents so far with no luck. It doesnt mean they won't it's just that some of them take the pics themselves or have other arragements. Female RE agents aren't friendly either, infact they're pretty bitchy. I usually have friendlier conversations with male agents. This, of course, comes from my past real estate business experience.

Has anyone tried this, or had success?

Nope - I am pretty sure you sounded pompous in your first post. But, hey, maybe that's me just being "bitchy" and you can add "TPF females" to your list of bitchy people.

Ha Ha, you're scorn is funny. I'm not hating on you girl. Nor hating on women. I think if you ever worked in the RE industry, you'd understand and wouldnt get so offended. I've worked with models and do so practicing and building my portfolio. Sure, a model can be bitchy, but for the most part no. She's too busy posing. BTW, I saw the bodoir photos on your profile. That's what I'm talking about! That's what I like to shoot. Not as good yet, but with time...

it's clear you rate the merit of someone's opinion based on whether they agree with you or not. took a peek at some of your other posts on this forum. you're new to photography. you wanna shoot nudes, and now you apparently have instantly developed the skills to shoot real estate photos too, an entirely different and specialized area of photography. These take different skill sets. And you also are talking about shooting bands. Another very different skill set. You ought to be concentrating on developing photo skills before you are offering services on a professional level. Sounds like you just want to shoot nudes without being able to afford to pay for locations. You'd be more successful here if you were just honest about that instead of acting like you're some business and artistic genius and we're all unimaginative failures. LOL. My guess is that you have no professional level real estate images for a portfolio anyway and if someone takes up your barter offer with no backup, they're gonna be disappointed. As for the band stuff, don't bother. People were really easy on you with the image you posted, but it's nowhere near even advanced amateur band photog quality. You talk about having a business mindset, but the reality is that you need the skills to back up your marketing claims or you're gonna spend a lot of time with unhappy customers and maybe even in court. Learn to shoot first; figure out what you have an aptitude for & you're actually good at, and then concentrate on improving. Then start a business.

I never said I was, nor pretended to be. Infact, I claimed newbie several times. I also NEVER said I was selling the photos nor claimed to have clients in wait. YOU said that. What you also said was "you apparently have instantly developed the skills to shoot real estate photos too, an entirely different and specialized area of photography", are you kidding me? I'm not painting the Mona Lisa, It's a freaking motionless building. A few good photos with good lighting and some touch up on software and tada! Paleze, get over it.

So maybe, I'm practicing my skills and building my portfolio. And maybe I thought, why not do it the best possible way by having the best back drops?

I'm glad I posted this question. Negative or not, the responses show that others in my area probably aren't doing it.

no, but you are offering your services to real estate professionals in trade. my guess is that you're not telling them you know nothing about real estate or architectural photography. and your comment here to me reflects that lack of knowledge. it's written by a GWC who doesn't really know about photography. To photograph a property well and maximize its assets and minimize its flaws is a skill that some photographers do quite beautifully. If you don't have the equipment and know-how to do so professionally, you should at least get the understanding of what the art entails so you can hone those skills before you waste the time of realtors and property owners. It really isn't that easy. As a newbie at photography and processing, you are another GWC trying to run before he can crawl.

Dude, what's your problem? Can't you read where I mentioned time and again that I worked in the RE industry? Just cuz you're a veteran and me new on this board doesnt mean know jack about me. You don't know what equipment I have nor have seen my real skills. Sure, I've posted some crappy photos here, but that doesnt show entirtey. So, what you're telling me is that from your experience, it takes much skill and special equipment to take pictures of real estate? And then you even added words like "architecture" in your fancy explanation of the job at hand. Yes, I've taken several photos of buildings and real estate, why? Cuz it's easy! Did I land on beatnik planet here?

Yes, I've taken several photos of buildings and real estate, why? Cuz it's easy! Did I land on beatnik planet here?

1. Your tone so far is the best way to get thrown into the huge pile of rude, know-it-all newcomers who don't get any help from any of the competent people here.

2. "Taking several photos of buildings and real estate" is not easy if you're doing it right. Any clown can point their camera at a building or kitchen, etc. and call it real estate photography. You say you worked in real estate, then you should know better than most how much work goes into a successful RE shoot. Lighting, composition, staging, exposure, etc. are all critical, and none of them are "easy" unless you're an experienced pro, which by your own words, you aren't.

Sure, I've posted some crappy photos here, but that doesnt show entirtey.

Why would you ever knowingly post "crappy" photos anywhere? Funny thing about the internet...once you put something out there, you don't get it back. Best advice I can give you, if you have any desire to ever be considered a pro... never post anything as a finished product but your best work.

Trying to use the, "yeah, I know that picture sucks, but that's not even close to my best work...blah blah blah" is really weak.

Bottom line: unless you've been trained, or studied under an established pro, for God's sake, please stay the heck away from paid (or barter) commercial (read: RE, architectural, etc.) photography gigs. You're only going to hurt the industry and all the real professionals who actually know what they're doing. B2B photography is a whole different animal than shooting your friend's kids or your cousin Sally's wedding.

OK, let me explain this again. Maybe I didn't write it very comprehesively.
Let me explain my position. Maybe I didn't write it very comprehensively.

I don't know you, I don't know what you plan on doing, I don't care what the agent has to pay for the photographs since it isn't my expense. In short: Why would I ever agree to it?

Well, you also dont know the buyers, nor the buyers agent, nor the appraiser, nor the home inspector going thru your closets, bathrooms, and attics, etc etc. No you don't have to agree to it. And many others probably wouldn't. But some would, and not many are needed.

Well, you also dont know the buyers, nor the buyers agent, nor the appraiser, nor the home inspector going thru your closets, bathrooms, and attics, etc etc. No you don't have to agree to it. And many others probably wouldn't. But some would, and not many are needed.
Nope, you're right, I don't. You also forgot to include the professional photographer that shot the house. The difference is that I have to trust them whereas I don't have to trust you.

You carry on trying to convince people it's a great idea. I'm done with this topic since it's going nowhere.

Yes, I've taken several photos of buildings and real estate, why? Cuz it's easy! Did I land on beatnik planet here?

1. Your tone so far is the best way to get thrown into the huge pile of rude, know-it-all newcomers who don't get any help from any of the competent people here.

2. "Taking several photos of buildings and real estate" is not easy if you're doing it right. Any clown can point their camera at a building or kitchen, etc. and call it real estate photography. You say you worked in real estate, then you should know better than most how much work goes into a successful RE shoot. Lighting, composition, staging, exposure, etc. are all critical, and none of them are "easy" unless you're an experienced pro, which by your own words, you aren't.

Sure, I've posted some crappy photos here, but that doesnt show entirtey.

Why would you ever knowingly post "crappy" photos anywhere? Funny thing about the internet...once you put something out there, you don't get it back. Best advice I can give you, if you have any desire to ever be considered a pro... never post anything as a finished product but your best work.

Trying to use the, "yeah, I know that picture sucks, but that's not even close to my best work...blah blah blah" is really weak.

Bottom line: unless you've been trained, or studied under an established pro, for God's sake, please stay the heck away from paid (or barter) commercial (read: RE, architectural, etc.) photography gigs. You're only going to hurt the industry and all the real professionals who actually know what they're doing. B2B photography is a whole different animal than shooting your friend's kids or your cousin Sally's wedding.

Trained and studied under a pro? Seriousely? What a joke! Some of the best photographers I know learned on their own. The reason they're also so good is because they didn't do, nor ride everyone else's wave. I think I irk you not because you really think I'm burning the industry and art, but because you dont like to hear someone say that photgraphy isnt hard. I never said that. I said, real estate photography isnt hard. If it's hard for you, too bad for you. Maybe some people pick up things faster than others. Maybe I'm really fast on photoshop. Maybe I have good equipment. So I don't post all my equipment and photos, and name and shoe size here. All I asked was if anyone had tried my idea before, and maybe one person qualified it, while you instead get butt hurt about it. My other photographer friend is reading these posts and laughing his arse off. Cant believe photographers are sooo sensitive.

How does what you posted above ^.... coincide with this quote of your earlier post (2nd post) below

Well, for one, the agent would obviuosely inform the seller of the opportunity to have a professional photographer take shots of the home for the listing ad for free. Yes, if it was my home, I wouldnt have a problem with it, infact would welcome it. Many of these homes are also empty. I take it from your response, you've never had this idea before.

You also never answered my previous question:

I see you are using a D90... do you have pro lenses (14-24, 24-70, or even tilt/shift for instance) needed for this type of shoot? How are you going to light the interior shots?

Lighting is the most important thing one needs to know.. and whether it is tasteful nudes, or house interiors..... it takes years of experience, and the right tools!

How does what you posted above ^.... coincide with this quote of your earlier post (2nd post) below

Well, for one, the agent would obviuosely inform the seller of the opportunity to have a professional photographer take shots of the home for the listing ad for free. Yes, if it was my home, I wouldnt have a problem with it, infact would welcome it. Many of these homes are also empty. I take it from your response, you've never had this idea before.

You also never answered my previous question:

I see you are using a D90... do you have pro lenses (14-24, 24-70, or even tilt/shift for instance) needed for this type of shoot? How are you going to light the interior shots?

Lighting is the most important thing one needs to know.. and whether it is tasteful nudes, or house interiors..... it takes years of experience, and the right tools!

Is that the best you got? So you went through all my posts to try to catch me in a lie? Semantics. If the conversation were in person, and not in print, the comprehension would be obvious. But, I'll humor you a bit. When i take pictures ,I'll use my budget D90 with a couple f1.4 primes and short wide angle. If the home has plenty of indoor lighting, I'm not brining any strobes. Then some simple photshop improvements. Yes, I would say that would be "professional photography" of the house. I know everyone is just aching to tear apart my approach, but that's what has worked for me before and for what I'm getting out of the deal, is what it's worth..

Last edited:
Y'all are done here.

As general background information for everyone - http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/faq.php

* Flaming is not tolerated. Any member who routinely taunts, insults, or engages in any inflammatory, fight-inducing behavior will face banning, and such posts will be edited or removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back