M42 -> EOS adapter

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
*/mods if it is not in a correct place, I apologise... I wanted to add this as a tip and trick or small artictle...

So... maybe some of you know how great were old lenses from Zenit, mounted to cameras through M42 mount. Lenses like Helios 50mm f2.0 or Pentacon Electric 135mm f.2.8. And some of you know how great are Canon dSLR cameras. I just received my adaptor ring which lets me mount my old lenses like Helios to my Canon 350d.

The camera meters light perfectly in both Av and Manual mode. You only need to set the apperture on the lens with it's ring (like it was set in all old cameras) and that's all... Canon meters the speed of shutter itself and does it really great. The important fact when buying such a ring is to pay attention how it is done:

1. check first if it let's you focus to infinity (some of them don't)
2. check if it has a special lock, so the apperture remains closed all the time... I mean the pic in a viewfinder looks like the one with "dof preview" button pressed in other normal Canon lenses. This is how the camera meters light ... the light goes through the 'hole" in apperture (lens) and camera meters the "amount" of light and sets the speed for this exact amount of light
3. may be sometimes important if the ring is black ... the light doesn't reflect inside the lens->ring->camera part. mine is silver and I haven't noticed any reflections (ok only when shooting straight into the sun, but I am not sure if those flares are from the ring or from the lens itself).

Advantages of buying such a ring;
1. old lenses are VERY cheap! and good, and the dof is great, especially iwth 1.8 50 mm... and they are sharp as a razor!

below I post 3 picturesto let you see the wonderful DOF here (the photos are just testing photos!!! no artsy feel there! )
and sorry for such big pics but I wantedt o show ya dof...

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

aaand... sorry nikon guys... but nikons d50, d70, d70s... don't work with the adaptors... :p they don't meter the light.. well.. ok you can attach the ring and lens but you'll have to use lightmeter :D
Canon rocks :)

Cheers
Aleksandra

The old Pentax Spotmatic lenses are M42 screwmount too, and they are some really good glass for cheap. I don't understand why it wouldn't work with the Nikon in camera meter though? I mean if it was a Nikon to M42 adapter instead of EOS.

ksmattfish said:
The old Pentax Spotmatic lenses are M42 screwmount too, and they are some really good glass for cheap. I don't understand why it wouldn't work with the Nikon in camera meter though? I mean if it was a Nikon to M42 adapter instead of EOS.

first of all, the cheap adapter to Nikon cannot focus to infinity. Nikon is designed in different way than Canon, and only the adapters with a special tiny antireflex (sp) lens in it. And the adapters with this special lens cost somewhat about $45. Those w/o the lens cost $19 (about).

With the meter - I have no idea... I know that d200 works great with the adapter and M42 lenses but d50 didn't want to work. There's something with light metering design in those cheaper Dslrs.

Ive decided to bid on some M42 mount lenses on ebay if I win I'll buy an adapter and let you know how it goes interesting experiment!

Excellent choice - M42 lenses are a good way to get a range of fast primes for very little cash. Be careful with the adapters though, the quality tends to vary. Check for sharp edges as it's possible to both cut yourself and scratch up your camera's lens mount. Also make sure you don't force the adapter too far as it might damage the lens mount or become VERY hard to remove. Finally, some heavier lenses (like a Russian 85mm F2, as I've discovered) may have a fairly stiff focusing ring, so attempting to focus may actually unscrew the lens from the adapter or the adapter from the camera! So preferably find an adapter that clicks into place. For $20 I imagine the quality will be pretty good; watch out for the very cheap ones on Ebay.

As our fearless two headed galactic leader mentioned above, the M-42s allow you to use lenses otherwise unavailable. The thing you have to be aware of is the quality of the materials, and who makes them. Some newer 'M-42' mounts do not have the correct tread pitch, and can damage the lens, camera, mount or a combination. The lenses from the old Soviet Block, and E-Europe should never be discounted.

Many times I have mentioned the quality of them, and the ability through mount adapters to use them on other cameras. I have used several times other makers lenses on my KM7D. Below are two photos I took with a Zodiak 30mm Wide angle designed for a Kiev88 Med. Format.

ee22349b.jpg

36727b65.jpg

Most reactions

Back