Mac or Windows?

Mac or Windows

• Mac

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Windows

Votes: 38 54.3%

• Total voters
Interesting, and an option for the technically inclined, but to do this violates the EULA for the OS which may mean something to folks who value support - admittedly not likely the crowd that would do this anyway.

I think for the purpose of this discussion, the Hackintosh may not really be a useful comparison - Windows can be installed and supported on any hardware it runs on and OSX support is gone if you don't pay the premium for the approved hardware.

HA ha ha haha haha. This is funny. A person that would actually call a company for tech support wouldn't know where to start when it comes to installing OS X on non Apple hardware.

And there is no need to pay Apple's outrageous prices when you can build better for cheaper.

OC'ed i7-920 to 3.8ghz
6GB RAM
1.8GB Nvidia GTX 295
Blu Ray burner
30" monitor
etc... etc...

All is installed, recognized, and works correctly with OS X. I payed $2,700 for the computer and monitor. That's the price of an entry level Mac Pro?

You make some good points...

In my opinion you do not have a Mac though, you have a PC running OSX.

A Mac is a computer that is built by Apple, and is a package including their proprietary hardware. It is not just the OS, on any random hardware.

I am not sure if you feel you have a Mac or not, just saying.

I do have a Mac. I hav a 2.53ghz C2D with 4GB RAM, a mediocre GPU, and an overall package that overheats and shutsdown when I try and use my 30" monitor with it. Plus it's soooooo slow when trying to batch process files in LR2. That's why I put OS X on my desktop. It smokes it by a mile and stay below 60C while being OC'ed to almost twice the stock clock speed.

I do have a Mac. I hav a 2.53ghz C2D with 4GB RAM, a mediocre GPU, and an overall package that overheats and shutsdown when I try and use my 30" monitor with it. Plus it's soooooo slow when trying to batch process files in LR2. That's why I put OS X on my desktop. It smokes it by a mile and stay below 60C while being OC'ed to almost twice the stock clock speed.

No I totally understand, this was my main point before.

I just dont consider a Hackintosh a real Mac.

Well, that was 15 minutes of my life wasted...............

I know. It's better. The best of both world with the ability to run Windows and play games instead of reading about them.

I know. It's better. The best of both world with the ability to run Windows and play games instead of reading about them.

Ya I agree.

Sometimes I want a multi boot system, but I am sacred to try it.

Ya I agree.

Sometimes I want a multi boot system, but I am sacred to try it.

I have the partitions on separate drives and use the MB's boot selection menu to select which one I want to boot to.

I have the partitions on separate drives and use the MB's boot selection menu to select which one I want to boot to.

Ty for the tip.

I may research this.

Edit: You mean just select the boot drive in the BIOS? Is that all it takes? I know almost nothing about mulit boot setups.

Ty for the tip.

I may research this.

Edit: You mean just select the boot drive in the BIOS? Is that all it takes? I know almost nothing about mulit boot setups.

Most all mobos should have a key that you hit on boot that brings up the boot device selection menu. Mine is f8. It lets me select which device I want to boot from.

Research the term "Hackintosh".

Interesting, and an option for the technically inclined, but to do this violates the EULA for the OS which may mean something to folks who value support - admittedly not likely the crowd that would do this anyway.

I think for the purpose of this discussion, the Hackintosh may not really be a useful comparison - Windows can be installed and supported on any hardware it runs on and OSX support is gone if you don't pay the premium for the approved hardware.

HA ha ha haha haha. This is funny. A person that would actually call a company for tech support wouldn't know where to start when it comes to installing OS X on non Apple hardware.

And there is no need to pay Apple's outrageous prices when you can build better for cheaper.

OC'ed i7-920 to 3.8ghz
6GB RAM
1.8GB Nvidia GTX 295
Blu Ray burner
30" monitor
etc... etc...

All is installed, recognized, and works correctly with OS X. I payed $2,700 for the computer and monitor. That's the price of an entry level Mac Pro?

Your setup is pretty basic, anybody can have that set up, some people choose not to. If you paid $2,700 for your set up then it's pretty expensive.

OC'ed i7-920 to 3.8ghz
6GB RAM
1.8GB Nvidia GTX 295
Blu Ray burner
30" monitor
etc... etc...

Question is; is your computer's i7 processor faster than the Hexa-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” processor of the Mac Pros?

OC'ed i7-920 to 3.8ghz
6GB RAM
1.8GB Nvidia GTX 295
Blu Ray burner
30" monitor
etc... etc...

Question is; is your computer's i7 processor faster than the Hexa-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” processor of the Mac Pros?

That processor by itself cost 1000 usd minimum. The i7 starts below 300 usd. They aren't even in same category. The Mac pro with the processor starts at 3500 usd.

Last edited:

OC'ed i7-920 to 3.8ghz
6GB RAM
1.8GB Nvidia GTX 295
Blu Ray burner
30" monitor
etc... etc...

Your setup is pretty basic, anybody can have that set up, some people choose not to. If you paid $2,700 for your set up then it's pretty expensive.

The monitor alone was a bit over $1,000. I payed $1,700 for the computer and that's not expensive, that's right on target.

And the whole point is, anyone can have that setup. It's fast and it'll smoke most any Apple computer out there. It's almost two years old and it run OS X better than most Apple products.

And the whole point is, anyone can have that setup. It's fast and it'll smoke most any Apple computer out there. It's almost two years old and it run OS X better than most Apple products.

You're really stretching the facts just to prove a point... :greenpbl:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back