• Windows

Votes: 38 54.3%

• Total voters

Neil S.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do you use Mac or Windows for editing photos?

Almost all the major editing platforms are on both Mac OS and Windows OS. I use Aperture and it only works on mac. I am a mac guy simply because its what I use.

Now I am going to sit back and watch the mac and PC fanboys duke it out.

*grabs popcorn*

Almost all the major editing platforms are on both Mac OS and Windows OS. I use Aperture and it only works on mac. I am a mac guy simply because its what I use.

Now I am going to sit back and watch the mac and PC fanboys duke it out.

*grabs popcorn*

Sometimes I wish that I could edit on a Mac, but it would require me to buy all new hardware.

I have been using Windows for like 15 years.

Also I like to build my computers now, and I don't think you can build Macs.

Mac guy here too. I own 2 macs and a PC. I do all of my editing on my Mac though so my PC doesn't explode.

Mac guy here too. I own 2 macs and a PC. I do all of my editing on my Mac though so my PC doesn't explode.

Haha...

Your PC must be slow then. Mine is so fast, its insane.

I just built it less than a year ago, and I love it so much.

Haha...

Your PC must be slow then. Mine is so fast, its insane.

I just built it less than a year ago, and I love it so much.

Thats the way to go if you use a PC. There's no point in even comparing Mac vs PC on a consumer level. But people will, you'll see. You've opened up a touchy subject. :D

Thats the way to go if you use a PC. There's no point in even comparing Mac vs PC on a consumer level. But people will, you'll see. You've opened up a touchy subject. :D

Ya I am starting to see that may be an issue lol...

You are right that its not even fair to compare the two. They are very different in a lot of ways.

I just wanted to get an idea what platform people use for editing.

Honestly if money was no object I would probably be editing on Mac right now.

I do love my PCs though. :mrgreen:

Hardware is hardware. Period It's not about the hardware.

It's actually not a hard thing to understand if you look at and understand the company philosophies of Microsoft and Apple.

Apple builds proprietary machines with their proprietary operating system based on Unix that is coded for those machines. Their code is simple, compact and stable. They build them this way for one simple purpose. Give the end user something that they can sit down to and work. No muss, no fuss, it just works. For this you pay a bit more up front.

Microsoft on the other hand wants to rule the computer world. Look at their track record and that is obvious. They don't build machines, just an OS that they try and make work with every available piece of hardware know to man, be it good hardware or the biggest piece of cow flop in the pasture. Their coding is complicated, bulky and has been proven time and again to be, buggy and often with many unstable attributes. Think ME as a perfect example. As a friend of mine that works for Microsoft likes to say, "We are the Pinky and the Brain of the computer industry." They want to be the only game in town. Problem is the town it just too damn big and they can't get the job done.

After years of Windows use, I have switched to Mac and never looked back. I prefer to maximize my computer time working at the task at hand and not worrying about anything else. It all comes down to what you want to do and what is important to the individual user.

Well it seems to be about the hardware for Apple.

This is why they make their own cases/monitors/etc. and dont allow you to build your own machines. They want you using THEIR hardware only.

I agree with a lot of the rest of what you said.

You may not know though that Windows 7 is an extremely stable and reliable OS. I have been running the same install now for almost a year, and have had close to zero issues with it. It is the 64 bit version too, and I play a lot of games and run CS5+LR3.

Windows OS releases are hit and miss though, and I hated ME and Vista a lot.

Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.

You may also not know that there are tons of DIY guys that build custom PCs, and you simply cant do that with Apple. I am one of them, and I enjoy it a lot.

Please dont try and stir the pot here with your hate for Microsoft.

I asked which one you used for editing, not which one you think is better.

Edit: Perhaps I was a bit harsh here, sorry for that. I am trying to prevent this from turning into a Mac vs. Windows fanboy argument though...

Last edited:
Although I am a windows guy, I do enjoy editing photos on a mac (in the apple store! haha). I do build my own PCs and probably will forever. I wish I had the money to throw down for a nice mac but I just dont. I get way more bang for buck with building my PCs.

Like comparing Apples to Oranges! LOL

they both work and both get the job done. Which ever works for you..Great. :)
Canon Nikon
Ford Chevy

There will always be a Protagonist for every Antagonist.

I use a Pc and I have used a mac. I like Pc better and I like I can upgrade the hardware with no issues. I dont think Mac's take to modifying very well. Plus I can get double the power for half the price. :) Thats me

Well it seems to be about the hardware for Apple.

This is why they make their own cases/monitors/etc. and dont allow you to build your own machines. They want you using THEIR hardware only.

I agree with a lot of the rest of what you said.

You may not know though that Windows 7 is an extremely stable and reliable OS. I have been running the same install now for almost a year, and have had close to zero issues with it. It is the 64 bit version too, and I play a lot of games and run CS5+LR3.

Windows OS releases are hit and miss though, and I hated ME and Vista a lot.

Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.

You may also not know that there are tons of DIY guys that build custom PCs, and you simply cant do that with Apple. I am one of them, and I enjoy it a lot.

Please dont try and stir the pot here with your hate for Microsoft.

I asked which one you used for editing, not which one you think is better.

Except it for the most part isn't their hardware. It is selected, better quality hardware that they pick to put into their machines. You won't find a WD green HD in their machines, but they will and do use WD top of the line HD's. They are no different than HP, Dell, Sony, etc. You have a mother board problem you can't go to the local computer part store and pick up a new mother board, you have to replace it with a proprietary one. Ever try to install a Dell version of Windows on and HP machine. Same thing.

I'm not a MS hater, I just don't want for me to spend my time doing computer work anymore. Obviously these days I edit on my Mac's. It's all I own.

If you are someone that likes to build machines, and mess around with the system/hardware end, Great, more power to you. It can be not only fascinating but a lot of fun.

Here is a short list of the systems I have used and for most coded for: Frotran 77, Cobol 1974, Unix, Linux, AIX, IRIX, SOLARIS, DOS, Every version of Windows and Almost every version of Apple OS since 1.0. If you know Frotran 77 and Cobol 1974 then you have figured out that I'm an ole timer.

I used to be into hot rods when I was younger too. Now, I buy my cars from the dealer and enjoy the ride cause the new ones just aren't as much fun for me to build anymore. :D

Just comes down to personal choices. There is no real right or wrong here. Well unless you are trying to edit on an old mainframe running OS/360. :lol::lmao:

I am not hip enough use a mac. You need funky hair, dark rimmed glasses, skinny jeans to be able to use a mac.

I am not hip enough use a mac. You need funky hair, dark rimmed glasses, skinny jeans to be able to use a mac.
or this guy:
cult_of_mac_400x503.jpg

I have never needed to nor wanted to use a Mac. I had to for much of my undergrad work at UCSD, but found that I worked quicker and more efficiently on my PC at home. Perhaps it's because I pretty much know Windows inside and out and my PC is fast and powerful (pretty much double the power/storage/speed of an iMac of the same price when I bought it). I prefer not to pay premium prices for pre-built, un-upgradable laptops trying to pass themselves as desktops with mediocre hardware.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back