Mac or Windows?

Mac or Windows

• Mac

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Windows

Votes: 38 54.3%

• Total voters
Even if the hardware was available, you can't get Windows 7 to recognize that much ram.

No matter whether you are a Windows fan or a Mac fan you have to admit having 1TB of ram would be freaking cool. :mrgreen:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (which I am currently running) can support 192GB of ram btw...

48GB is the limit that I think you hit with a PC for current motherboards. That is for non-server boards.

Theres a server board on newegg that says it supports 192GB of ECC registered memory.

I am tired and dont feel like checking how much you could really put into it, based on current stick capacities.

It will be a long time before running 192GB is even a realistic number, and by then MS will release a better OS for sure.

1TB RAM lol?

Its a pleasant pipe dream at least...

Even if the hardware was available, you can't get Windows 7 to recognize that much ram.

No matter whether you are a Windows fan or a Mac fan you have to admit having 1TB of ram would be freaking cool. :mrgreen:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (which I am currently running) can support 192GB of ram btw...

48GB is the limit that I think you hit with a PC for current motherboards. That is for non-server boards.

Theres a server board on newegg that says it supports 192GB of ECC registered memory.

I am tired and dont feel like checking how much you could really put into it, based on current stick capacities.

It will be a long time before running 192GB is even a realistic number, and by then MS will release a better OS for sure.

1TB RAM lol?

Its a pleasant pipe dream at least...

Actually it is a small amount that is theoretically possible. Just not physically possible since the hardware is not possible at this time. From Apple's site.

64-bit computing shatters that barrier by enabling applications to address a theoretical 16 billion gigabytes of memory, or 16 exabytes.

Beats that 194Ghb don't it?:mrgreen:

Actually it is a small amount that is theoretically possible. Just not physically possible since the hardware is not possible at this time.

I am excited about the fact that storage is transitioning to flash based, it has so many advantages. Once the technology gets cheaper, it will guaranteed become the standard.

I was an early adopter of SSD drives, and bought the 160GB Intel one even before they had the TRIM firmware released.

My SSD is so fast, its scary. Close to zero access time, and insanly hi read speeds.

It quite simply blows any HDD on the planet out of the water in performance.

It is also silent, small, lightweight, resistant to shock+heat, and just generally bad ass overall lol.

No option for "all of the above"?

I have OSx and Windows boxes - and a linux box, but I don't use it too often.

- Maura

Now would be a good time for someone to admit that this PC destroys the Mac listed before...

Plus the heat and the cooling fans needed for such overkill would help in creating and moving so much hot air around that such a Windoze machine could heat the basement of the parents' house where such a machine would reside. One thing though....that cheezy Hewlett-Packard monitor...what's that all about???

PROTIP: Your "manly endowment" is not measured by how much crap you stuffed into a computer case.

its not that i like macs, its just i dont like windows

Now would be a good time for someone to admit that this PC destroys the Mac listed before...

Plus the heat and the cooling fans needed for such overkill would help in creating and moving so much hot air around that such a Windoze machine could heat the basement of the parents' house where such a machine would reside. One thing though....that cheezy Hewlett-Packard monitor...what's that all about???

Are you joking about the HP monitor?

Its the worlds only 30-bit LCD panel, with over a billion colors.

Come on Derrel, I am sure you can appreciate that...

I would like to add that these monitors are over $800 more each compared to the 27" Apple ones.

Edit: Ya your right that it would put off a lot of heat. The $14,000 Mac would too though. And why would the machine need to reside in a parent's basement? Please explain this...

Last edited by a moderator:
PROTIP: Your "manly endowment" is not measured by how much crap you stuffed into a computer case.

Umm...

I dont really know what to say to this lol.

THIS THREAD MUST DIE!!!
trigger-happy.gif

chain-gun.gif

raoilgun.gif

rocket-launcher.gif

laser-blaster.gif

duel-guns.gif

Any discussion about Mac or PC will get into a war. Same can be said about Nikon vs. Canon.

I recently built my PC to rip blu-ray and play games. I use my Macbook Pro for school and daily use. I shoot Nikon. I prefer Mac over PC, and Nikon over Canon. Why? Personal preference. I still use both everyday. I would use Canon if I had one but pretty expensive to shoot two camera.

Comparing PC and Mac is like comparing Honda Civic and Honda S2000. S2000 *Mac* is more expensive and faster out the gate but you can tweak the Civic *PC* and make it super fast. If speed is what you aim for, great get the Civic and tweak it. If you tweak, you will stress your parts and you will have to replace it more often. I prefer driving the S2000 which is fast enough, look nicer, more stable, better feel, and I still beat the Civic all around the track. It's all preference, some people want speed to do drag racing and some people want a car with great handling so they can run around the track. :hug::

Comparing PC and Mac is like comparing Honda Civic and Honda S2000. S2000 *Mac* is more expensive and faster out the gate but you can tweak the Civic *PC* and make it super fast. If speed is what you aim for, great get the Civic and tweak it. If you tweak, you will stress your parts and you will have to replace it more often. I prefer driving the S2000 which is fast enough, look nicer, more stable, better feel, and I still beat the Civic all around the track. It's all preference, some people want speed to do drag racing and some people want a car with great handling so they can run around the track. :hug::
Except that a Civic and S2000 are vastly different in every concievable category. Earlier in this thread, I made this comparisson:
I've always liked the car metaphor best; like comparing a WRX STi to a BMW M3 or a Corvette Z06 to a Ferrari F430. Some people just care about the lap times, some people care about the image, some people care about the "whole package;" whatever they dictate that to be. How someone justifies spending their own money is totally up to them! If handed to me, I would gladly take an M3 and 430. With my own money, I'd have a Chevy and a Subaru.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back