mac`s and nikon

Maxwell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
alright since i need to get a notebook for college i decided to get a mac for obvious reasons as im a student, one question i was wondering was can i use iphoto with the nikon D40 or do i have to use nikons program?
also how is iphoto compared to others?

iPhoto works just fine as a basic program for importing and organizing images in both RAW and JPEG images. Aperture, Lightroom, Capture NX and Photoshop all work great on the mac too, and are all better in their own ways than iPhoto... but iPhoto is not a bad place to start.

I own and use both Nikon cameras (including a D40 and a couple of D80's) and macs.

Well it should work fine, but one thing I'll recommend is Adobe Lightroom. I have Aperture for my Mac, and then I got Aperture for my PC desktop....tell ya what...Aperture is 1000x better for archiving and tagging and organizing...but for workflow and working on pictures...lightroom makes up for it and then some.

So if you ever feel iPhoto isn't doing enough for you...get lightroom over Aperture.

I too own two macs and a D200, I have never had a problem importing or viewing images with iPhoto. I don't really use iPhoto for anything though. If all you want to do is view images than iPhoto is fine but if you want to edit I would go with Lightroom. I believe that students can still get it for $99, which is a steal. Capture NX, i thought, was less intuitive than Lightroom or Photoshop.

Yeah you can still get it for $99. I am glad that I am still a student!

alright thanks alot then, im getting the d40 and the macbook sometime this week i might look into the lightroom.
this is my first on digital i was using a old minolta slr before this

alright so no macbook for me, my school called and said there ware programs they use that were not compatible with a mac, so can you still use lightroom on a pc?

Yeah, but you can also run windows programs on a Mac using something like Parallels or similar software.

Go to www.academicsuperstore.com (or dozens of other sites) and buy Lightroom immediatly, you will never regret it. The best reason to do it now is the capability Lightroom has to organize your photos. Might as well do it right to begin with.

Good luck choosing a computer.

Most reactions

Back