Mac Users Assemble!!! Computer Related but for Photography!!!

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
crap i totally clicked the wrong thread.... can a mod move this to a more approprite section

I'm in a delima.... I'm replacing my current computer (1st generation MacBook)

i do a lot of photo stuff... editing (photoshop and lightroom mostly) i do web design and stuff as well...

would you get a 15" MacBook Pro... its got a 2.4ghz processor, 2gb ram and 250 gb hard drive...

OR

a 24" iMac 2.8 ghz processor 2 gb ram and 320 gb HD.... and just stick with the current macbook for portable work...

what would you do, and why?

I have a PC (and I always will :p) but do you your editing and web design at home or on the move? If you do it (if I had no other choice) I would go with the 24" iMac....and maybe add 2gb more of RAM. You can always get another hard drive for the iMac, maybe like a 500gb since they are pretty cheap right now.

I use an iMac with a 2.8ghz processor, 4GB RAM, and a 500GB harddrive for all of my editing at home. I also have a MBP that I use for work and have some photo editing software installed on it, but I still prefer to work at my desktop with its larger screen.

I have a 24" imac. I just recently added a second monitor. I like to have a lot of real estate when working on pics so I can see details and keep menus and other stuff from cluttering up my desktop. But that's just me. I also know some guys who love their macbooks for editing.

i'm so torn.. cause after some talking tonight, I even have the support of my wife (she hated the idea earlier today) of course shes pushing for the MBP because it means she gets my macbook... i think i'll go with the iMac though... my current MacBook is great and will be for work stuff (essays, sermons, stuff like that) and I can do the photo stuff on the iMac.... mmm my desk will look very pretty... MacBook with a 19" extended monitor, and a 24" iMac... drule city... I might need a bigger desk...

might go pick it up tomorrow... wondering if I'm willing to battle the sale shoppers (again)

I have the pro, it is phenomenal, when snow leopard comes out, you will be glad you have the integrated and discrete graphic cards. It is the best optin, they have all the recent tech, and work great. Plus, they are beautiful!

If you are purchasing the iMac I would wait until after the macworld conference which will be held in late January, as there are rumors going around that the iMac will be given a speed bump then.

I found most laptops displays (even apple) not ideal for photo editing. If purchase the macbook pro, you should figure in the cost of a good monitor into the final cost. The iMac would not require an additional external monitor.

I would choose the iMac and max out the memory to 4GB.

i think i'll go with the iMac though
I bought my wife one a few months ago, and I am impressed with it.....I suggest following the "bigger is better" principle regarding RAM and hard drive capacity

thanks for the help guys... and sorry that i stuck this in the wrong thread.. totally not my intension.. i meant to copy what i had typed and move onto the proper place.. but i forgot and hit post instead.

i've decided for the iMac, and am going to take the advice of nicholas, and wait until after macworld, even though i'm so ancy and just want to go buy it now!! this wait is going to be harder than waiting for christmas to come

i actually use a mac mini to do my photo editing :) but i think they are right about laptops and their screens, you don't get the best impression o what it actually looks like.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back