MacBookPro

rCOSIO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rcosiophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all ... sorry for maybe asking a question that has already been answered. Although, would love anyone's feedback ... I need a laptop ASAP, and also want to change from PC to Mac ... I use my computer mostly for photography, graphic design, internet and music. I am currently a student going for Graphic Design and need to get a Mac.

With this being said, WILL I BE OK editing my photos on my laptop and no longer using a desktop? I edit using photoshop and lightroom.

MacBookPro specs that I will be getting is:
i7 Intel Processor
500gb HD @ 7200rpm
HiRes Anti-Glare Screen

Will these specs do the trick for editing pics just fine on a laptop?

Also, storing my photos? Is the best way to put all my photos on an external hardrive? I was thinking bout purchasing the WD My Book Studio for mac 1tB?

Sorry for the long message guys, but would love your tech skills and input? Thanks.

Oh, i NEED a mac, and i NEED a laptop ... thats why i choose this route.

The macbook works fine for editing, however you will probably want an outboard monitor. You will probably be more comfortable with an external keyboard/mouse and possibly graphics tablet as well.

I don't use Mac these days, but I do all my editing on a Dell laptop. A laptop works fine for editing. I have a dock connected to my Dell IPS monitor, 2TB WD Drive, 2 X 500GB WD Drives, keyboard, Wacom Graphics Tablet, printer, and trackball. The dock makes it so I don't have to plug in a million cables every time I sit down to edit. In a pinch, I can also edit on the bare laptop (e.g. if I am travelling).

You ABSOLUTELY need outboard storage -- preferably in more than one location.

Your main issue with migration would be if you paid lots of $$$ for photoshop / lightroom / other software and you bough the PC versions not the mac version....

Mac makes a great product. Very stable and easy to use. if you are going to use a laptop screen for editing their's are some of the best.

-tim

Your main issue with migration would be if you paid lots of $$$ for photoshop / lightroom / other software and you bough the PC versions not the mac version....

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the LR license key will work with either mac or pc downloaded versions. Not sure about PS but it might be the same

Not really that bad from Adobe. You can purchase a Mac upgrade for Photoshop off of the PC license. Plus my 17" MBP is running windows alongside of OX no problem with any of my PC programs.

This is an excellent monitor to pair with the MBP. Love mine.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the LR license key will work with either mac or pc downloaded versions. Not sure about PS but it might be the same

Actually I don't think so. I'm running Lightroom on my Mac and I don't remember having a license key for the mac install. I could be wrong though. I would have to pull out the box. Lightroom only comes in one version containing both mac and PC on the DVD. :mrgreen:

Actually I don't think so. I'm running Lightroom on my Mac and I don't remember having a license key for the mac install. I could be wrong though. I would have to pull out the box. Lightroom only comes in one version containing both mac and PC on the DVD. :mrgreen:

Mine was purchased via direct download... its been a while but I remember being presented with both mac and pc download links after completing purchase.

[UPDATE]

I dug this up from adobe's website for lightroom. Its good news:

"Subject to the terms of the End User Licensing Agreement, the primary user of the computer on which Photoshop Lightroom 2 (the "Software") is installed may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary computer. You may be required to contact Adobe to make a second copy. Lightroom is sold as multiplatform software, which means it can be installed on either Mac OS X or Windows"

Last edited:
WOW guys .... you made me feel more comfortable with getting this laptop.

I have access to Adobe's Creative Suite for mac's, MS Office, and Lightroom, so not worried about the software. I also do have a 24" Dell Monitor that I will be using along with a Wacom tablet. I will just need to purchase a wireless keyboard, mouse, and docking station ...

Bout ouch .... over $200 for a docking station?

Well, is it agreed that I should be placing all my photos an External Hardrive. I guess im just worried bout moving all my work to a laptop, and dont want it to be too slow.

Thanks Again Everyone

WOW guys .... you made me feel more comfortable with getting this laptop.

I have access to Adobe's Creative Suite for mac's, MS Office, and Lightroom, so not worried about the software. I also do have a 24" Dell Monitor that I will be using along with a Wacom tablet. I will just need to purchase a wireless keyboard, mouse, and docking station ...

Bout ouch .... over $200 for a docking station?

Well, is it agreed that I should be placing all my photos an External Hardrive. I guess im just worried bout moving all my work to a laptop, and dont want it to be too slow.

Thanks Again Everyone

Which is one reason I prefer the 24" Apple Cinema Display built for laptops. It fits virtually every laptop apple makes as well as their desktop units.

Docking stations like the one digital flower linked to only fit the models that are listed which means new laptop, new docking station.

I second the recommendation for a good monitor. I edit my photos on a four year old macbook pro and there are many times that the colors of the printed picture don't match the monitor.

I'm a student also and have a MacBook Pro, I do some photo editing on it also. In terms of speed/reliability it's amazing. Make sure you get a decent amount of RAM too, 4gb should do. I don't think the docking station is a necessity though, just get a display port adapter to your monitor.

Yah, like I said, I have a 24" Dell Monitor that I am pretty happy with that I will be using. As far as the RAM, I will be getting the 8gb RAM with the i7 processor.

Most reactions

Back