Macro, 85mm or Complete the Holy Trinity...?

HeldInTheMoment

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I finally ordered my 24-70mm f/2.8 a few weeks ago and my 70-200 f/2.8 arrives tomorrow. I plan to but another lens by the end of this month (paid work is busy this month and supporting the upgrades). I cannot decided between a Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8, Nikon 85mm f/1.8, or a Macro Lens...

My main income from Photography is Weddings, Portraits, and Sports (Motocross). Once I have a few more FX lenses, I will be going Full Frame. I'm waiting to see if a successor to the D750 or D810 is coming this winter/next spring. So I figure get the good glass now and when I move to FX, I'm all set!

Thoughts or Advice?

Well, there's nothing in your list that indicates macro is a capability you need, and you've already got the 85mm FL covered in the 70-200, so I would say that the UWA is your next priority in order to round out your kit, followed by an 85 prime for the portrait work.

Well, there's nothing in your list that indicates macro is a capability you need, and you've already got the 85mm FL covered in the 70-200, so I would say that the UWA is your next priority in order to round out your kit, followed by an 85 prime for the portrait work.

Thanks, the Macro was for the ring shots. The 85mm f/1.8 of course for portraits with a lower f-stop. I was just curious as the UWA isn't as useful on the DX body as an FX body.

You may want to wait on the UWA as a true UWA on DX will probably be a different lens than for FX. Unless you don't mind replacing a few lenses.

24 mm on a full frame camera is pretty wide. I have a 16-35 that rarely gets used now that I have the Tamron 24-70. From the work you've described I'd probably get the macro for the ring shots. The 85 1.8G is a great lens too but doesn't really add much to the capability of your kit. It's small and light though which would be a nice break from the heavy 70-200 towards the end of a long day.

FWIW, there's also an 85mm macro DX lens.

Thanks guys, but all my new lenses will be FX as I will be converting to Full-Frame by the end of this year. I just want to see what new bodies are coming from Nikon before getting the older D750/810 models.

I guess the best options would be the Macro or UWA...the 85mm f/1.8 is nice but I don't really need the f/1.8 right now for portraits, worst case I have the 35mm f/1.8 which is more like a 50mm on DX.

If you're doing weddings it's pretty important to have macro. But UWA is also very important. For paid work I would have both.

As far as UWA goes, at least know what you want, and why you want it. Trial and error, and testing out new lenses is fine, but I hope you know why you want UWA other than the "just to round out my kit" answer.

If you do landscapes for fun, the Tamron 15-30 has to take more expensive 150x150mm filters with an expensive filter attachment setup (for long exposure photography). Just added cost. The cost isn't so much a pain as it is cleaning giant square filters, and packing them up/putting them on the lens.

I would vote for getting one of those macro lenses which can serve as great portrait lenses as well, like the Tokina 100mm.

I would vote for getting one of those macro lenses which can serve as great portrait lenses as well, like the Tokina 100mm.

I've been looking at that Tokina....though, seen a few mixed reviews.

60mm 2.8D Micro Nikkor. Cheap and good for rings shots. As I mentioned before in another thread, maybe the 20mm f/4 AI. Sharp, cheap and since its so wide, manual focus is easy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back