Macro alternative lighting

tpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scientificillustration.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been struggling to get nice lighting on very close macro shots, to allow wide angle shots. Using a childs fiber optic lamp it is possible to rig a directional macro light set up. You can make bundles of fiber optic cables, each bundel would represent a seperate flash, as would be used in a 3 point light setup for example, the number of fibers determines the relative intensity and attaching them to a bit of coat hanger wire makes them easily positionable. If you then clip them onto your dedicated flash you have an instand macro light studio on the end of your camera. The picture below is the first test setup. picture one was shot at f:13 and pic 2 was nearly the same but at f:16 with a standard macro ring flash. I hope to incorporate some small polorizing filters so as it can get rid of nasty highlights on shiny objects. if anyone knows where i can get some polorizing plastic film cheaply it would be really appreciated.

Which light set up do you like best out of the shot below, right at the bottom you can see the fiber optic flash attachment.

light_test.jpg

The advantages are you can position your lights exactly, you need less room between the lens and the subject than with a standard ring flash, and you can controll shadow direction and softness and light diffusity (is that a word?).

thanks for looking

tim

I like #1 best.
Great idea with the fiber

I dont really know what you did to make the light.how about a macro of the light?

Thnaks guys, i liked the top one best too, and it was the first picture i took with no adjustments to the so called thrown together in 10 mins "prototype". Thats what got me excited, that it was so easy to get the result you want.

Sorry it was badly explained. Get one of those fiber optic lamps, rip the fiber optic fibers out of it, divide them into two or three bundles (top and fill or top back and fill lights for example), wrap each bundle to a bit of wire and then attach them together at one end and to the front of the flash. In the picture above there are two bundles of fibers with wire in them attached to the front of a dedicated flash unit. Then when the on camera dedicated flash goes off it flashes into one end of the fibers and the light comes out of the other. The end that the light comes out of can be positioned so as it lights the subject you want to take a picture of, you can position the three fiber optic arms so as the light the subject how you want, for example a 3 point light set up. you can also determine how diffuse the light will be by putting a rubber band on the end of the cables nearest to the subject. the tighter together the fibers are held by the rubber band the less diffuse the light will be.

P.S. if anyone wants to patent it as a clip on accessory to a camera flash unit dont forget to cite me and send me royalties :).

Thanks

tim

:lol: That's awesome! Great job on the innovation. I agree with the others, the first one is the best.

Most reactions

Back