Macro and fish eye suggestion please for canon?

Annaminnnie2010

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a Canon 550D 18-55mm kit.

I find this lens is good but very limited to what I want to do.

I'm interested in finding an affordable Canon macro lens? Could somebody please recommend one? Also a wide angle lens for landscapes? also a fish eye for some fun.

Also what does it mean when the camera lens has a 1.4 , 1.8 , 2.8? is the lower the number the better or the higher? I know this sounds silly bu I have no idea!

I also just found this is interesting , Re: crop factor.

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/crop-factor-explained

Last edited:
What type of macro photos are you planning to take? Flowers, insects or stationary object such as coins?

If you are planning to take a detail macro photo of something that is very small such as close up photo of a fly, then I will suggest to get a macro lens that can do 1:1 ratio.

1:1 means the size of the object image projected on the film/sensor is the same as the object.

There are quite a few of those true macro lenses to choose from. The focal length of those lenses varies in general from 50mm to 180mm
i.e.

EF 50mm f/2.5 macro
EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro USM
EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM
EF 100mm f/2.8L macro USM
EF 180mm f.2.8 macro USM

Other popular third party macro lenses are
Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
Sigma 180mm f/3.5 macro

The longer the focal length of the macro lens, the farther away from the subject from the camera. If you like to take a photo of a bee or wasp, a longer focal length lens make you feel more comfortable.

As for the 1.4, 1.8 or 2.8. That is the maximum aperture size of the lens for a given focal length.

i.e. EF 100mm f/2.8 USM lens. Max aperture you can use with this lens is f/2.8 (wide open) But of course, you can choose f/14 if you like such as when you taking a photo of an insect and like to increase the Depth of Field. (wider aperture, lower f number give you shadower Depth of Field.)

As for wide angle, does the 18mm focal length wide enough for you?

What type of macro photos are you planning to take? Flowers, insects or stationary object such as coins?

If you are planning to take a detail macro photo of something that is very small such as close up photo of a fly, then I will suggest to get a macro lens that can do 1:1 ratio.

1:1 means the size of the object image projected on the film/sensor is the same as the object.

There are quite a few of those true macro lenses to choose from. The focal length of those lenses varies in general from 50mm to 180mm
i.e.

EF 50mm f/2.5 macro
EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro USM
EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM
EF 100mm f/2.8L macro USM
EF 180mm f.2.8 macro USM

Other popular third party macro lenses are
Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
Sigma 180mm f/3.5 macro

QUOTE]

Thanks heaps for that! I would like to take photos upclose of flowers....eye make up to show up detail and vibrant colours... possibly insects...

what about images such as these...
What kind of a lens do you think would get this close?

Google Image Result for http://www.28creative.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Macro-Photography-20.jpg

I just came across this online.... thought I would share..

Macro Photography on a Budget: Shoot Close-Up Cheaply | MCP Actions Blog - Photography Techniques, Photoshop Actions, Tutorials

the shots you like would all pretty much be possible with a regular 1:1 magnification macro lens - so pretty much any lens that Dao lists above will achieve those results - provided of course that you control the lighting, setup and find the bug for the shot :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back