Macro Ant shots for C&C

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The ants are really attracted to the Rose-of-Sharon. Today's images are a slight improvement from my last try. All hand held using the Raynox 150 Macro on the Canon S5.

IMG_3669sm.jpg

IMG_3675sm.jpg

IMG_3678sm.jpg

For a iso of 200 that is a LOT of noise. I like the idea but that noise or post production is distracting to me.

For a iso of 200 that is a LOT of noise. I like the idea but that noise or post production is distracting to me.

Very distracting indeed but that only showed up after the pics were loaded into Photobucket. It was a surprise to me when I saw the pics here. :thumbdown: The S5 is bad for noise with any ISO over 200 but it should not look this bad @ 200. The pics were cropped about 50% which I expect contributed to the problem.

Excellent pictures of the ants, but I do agree the noise is very distracting. I didn't think that a 50% crop would produce that amount of noise.

These are great shots in every way but one. The noise as every one has said is to distracting and apparent.

I think number two would be the best if i could see the original before crappy photobucket but due to what it did i go for number 1 all nice shots though

Just for interest, I plugged one into Noiseware Pro (which I have as both free-standing and as a photoshop plugin) to see what would happen (didn't spend much time with adjustments).

Here are before and after both from Photobucket:

ants.jpg

ants_filtered.jpg

Thanks Ian, that made a big difference & particularly in the blue area.

Also, thanks to all you folks who took the time to respond.

With a bit of effort, I think you could do a better job. As I said, I just dashed it off (using just your image grabbed off of TPF) to see what would happen. I love this software -- and I think it was only about $90. I use it on most images, but find it particularly useful at recovering some shot at high ISO that I thought were useless. It's very easy to use.

Wow that noise where program made a significant difference!

For a iso of 200 that is a LOT of noise.

Take it with a grain (har) of salt -- that's ISO 200 on an S5IS which has a far smaller sensor than a DSLR. There's going to be a lot of noise even at 100 or lower compared to a modern DSLR.

Given the limitations of what he's shooting, those images are awesome (okay, I admit, I was pretty jealous even without considering the camera, they're nicely done).

BTW, I forgot to mention .... I really like the images :)

Most reactions

Back