Macro Bug Series C&C Welcome

mooimeisie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've never really liked bugs nor noticed them as much as this year with owning a DSLR. Some bugs are very fastinating and some can be very beautiful when at home in their natural enviroment. What I am trying to do in this series is show a kinder, gentle side to a bug in his home. All C&C is welcome, encouraged and I promise to think about your point of view and learn for the future. Thanks for taking a look and I look forward to your comments.

#1 The Bee
Beewf.jpg

#2 The Ladybug
LadyBugwf.jpg

#3 The Moth
HummingbirdMothwf.jpg

#4 The Crab Spider
Crabspiderwf.jpg

#5 The Butterfly
TheButterfly.jpg

Last edited:
I absolutely am in love with all four of the photos. Although the spider looks a tad blurry/out of focus. By far though, the ladybeetle is my fav! That kind of detail is just amazing.

BTW, I just got my a350. What kind of lens were you using to get these shots and did you use a tripod too?

I just broke one of my new 28-85 lenses though. :x It fell out of my camera bag. Splat!

All photos were taken with the Sigma 105mm. The spider had the addition of a Kenco 36mm extention tube. It well may be a little blurry as I really have alot of trouble using the extention tubes.

All photos were taken with the Sigma 105mm. The spider had the addition of a Kenco 36mm extention tube. It well may be a little blurry as I really have alot of trouble using the extention tubes.

Extension tubes? Sheesh, I'm so much of a novice that I don't even know what they are.

And I gotta tell you...whilst I am deathly allergic to bees, your shot makes me want to reach out and "pet" it. The clarity and crispness is really nice.

OK, now I'm off to look at Sigma lenses, as I still mourn the loss of my 25-85.

Oh...did you use any filters? Or would you need to use a filter for a macro shot?

Agree with all the above. I would love to claim to shoot as well. My only critique is that all of the insects seem to have one spot or another out of focus. I'm not that knowledgable about macro but I'd assume this has to do with needing a slightly smaller aperature. Also although I like the angle on the bee the texture of the bees fur is missing in the darker areas. No clue what to do to fix that. Love the pics though.

These are some very nice pictures. I'd rather see the whole ladybug in focus, but hey thats macro photography. It's hard to get a great depth of field with such close-ups. Nevertheles I find these pictures very interesting. Keep up the good work. :)

I love what you are capturing here. I think the spider is my favorite because of the leaf/petal that partially covers it, adding depth. I can't comment on the technical side because I don't know what it takes to get a nice macro. I am also jealous, :) and am trying to save up for a macro lense. Keep posting!

Really nice pictures! I like #1 especially!

#4 just looks a tad OOF.

But they look good. I am curious what your aperture setting was. I like your use of angles here.

have you been reading some of those links?

Great shot on the ladybug!

Thanks for all the comments. I added The Butterfly (I know I've posted it before, but I thought it makes a nice addition to the series). In response to the aperture settings, the spider was taken at f/11 with the extention tube and all the others were at f/2.8 with only the Sigma 105mm. It looks like f/2.8 is giving the sharpest shots of the bugs or is it the extention tubes I'm having trouble with? This has definately given me something to work on.

Thanks again everyone.

I would actually consider opening it to f/5.6 or even f/8 a bit for something like the moth or lady but.

just a thought is all. I don't have a macro lens to work with right now.

I would tweek the butterfly and print it before the flowers.

Most reactions

Back