Macro Butterfly

bennyboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know it's been done to death but hey I'm still learning. What do you think :D

ButterflyEdit.jpg

Thanks for looking :mrgreen:

Photo looks good but you have alot of hotspots in the leaf and the butterfly. Next time you do a shot like this drop your flashes light output. (use a diffuser or set your flash to a differant parameter if possible. You got some great colors but lost them in a lot of places do to the light.

Yeah I'm a little disappointed with how it turned out. It looked quite good before I got it onto the screen. The worst part is no mount of PS will fix it.

There are some little tricks you can do with the adjustment layers. Make a selective color adjustment layer pick white and add the colors you want to fill the white for that area. And because its a adjustment layer it gives you a mask to work with so you can use this effect on differant spots . Just make a new Sel. Color layer for each spot that a differant color is needed and fill away.

Hope this works for you.

Cheers Viemann

I will definitely be giving that a go tonight.

I love this forum ;)

I think giving it a softer look might help too...looks really plasticky at the moment. Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Your poor butterfly looks a little abused. I wonder about the direction of the light too, might work better from a more rearward angle to capture the angle his wings were sitting. That's a hard one to judge as your shooting though. :)

Yeah my poor butterfly has seen better days :(

Unfortunately this was the only angle available. I had to climb through a spider web and under a bush to get it :D

hay! that's a very good start :) just climb there again and take another shot :) hopefully your butterfly is still there :)

mentos_007 said:
hay! that's a very good start :) just climb there again and take another shot :) hopefully your butterfly is still there :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah but what if the spider sees me coming this time. He might want to get me back for busting up his web last time. :D

Not bad benny, like the second a lot better only thing I would do is work on getting the green to come in a little better on the leaves and maybe use the burn tool so it all doesn't have the same value of color throught out. But good job looks way better.

It has the hotspot that you mentioned yourself but that's all part of the learning process. If you mainly use the Canon S1IS to shoot with, I'd make the recommendation that you carry a package of Kleenex with you so if you ever get the chance to shoot a macro like this with the built in flash, you can put a Kleenex over the flash and bump up your exposure by 1/3 and take the picture. This will diffuse the flash so you don't get those harsh shadows and should help to get rid of those hot spots.

Still a good shot and that subject will never get old. :)

That sounds like a good idea Hobbs. I'm off for another photography day today so I'll try that out if I get a chance.

Thankyou all for your comments and advice. I've learnt a great deal just from one picture :D

Most reactions

Back