Macro Cameras

BloodVersus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a complete noob but have been getting interested in getting a camera capable of macro shots. I was wondering what brands/models you would recommend?

What kind of macro photography were you considering? If you have links to examples of other work that you have seen that you would like to be able to emulate (at least at a techincal level) then do please link to them to give us an idea.
Otherwise without any specific ideas I would say go for any camera brand - Nikon, Canon, Olympus etc... all have good macro lenses and setups. Heck most point and shoot camera bodies can do very well with macro work so you don't nessessarily need to break the bank if your budget is limited.

Im interested with getting really close to the surfaces of objects to reveal textures or one thing I really look forward to is using staged lighting focused onto and through clear things like glass cups or crystals to see all the ways the light reflects inside all up close like.

I'd like to spend less than $500 if possible, and would also like if the camera could record video as I have some other ideas for that as well.

Im interested with getting really close to the surfaces of objects to reveal textures or one thing I really look forward to is using staged lighting focused onto and through clear things like glass cups or crystals to see all the ways the light reflects inside all up close like.

I'd like to spend less than $500 if possible, and would also like if the camera could record video as I have some other ideas for that as well.

Good luck...the lens will cost you a good $500. Any DSLR will be capable. If you buy all used you could pick up a used DSLR for 350-500, used lens for $350, flash for $200, other misc. $100. So you'd be hard pressed to shoot true macro for less than a grand...and that's with most stuff being used.

Ugh, why do I have to be interested in the spendy stuff? What do you mean any DSLR will do? And these cameras don't come with everything you need to take that type of picture? You would have to buy the lense and flash separate? And what other miscellaneous stuff do you mean?

Thanks for the info so far btw! :)

You could buy the macro lens, for better macro capability. Because the maro function on the regular lenses aren't enough for macro shots.

Well for getting all you want into $500 I think your best bet is going to be a good bridge camera (that is a high end point and shoot). They tend to have a good macro feature and also the video function that you are after.
I can't recomend any specific models as I don't know the range on offer very well at all - and even if you get a point and shoot you will still need to put some mind to how you light the scene. Though often you can get away with just simple white paper to reflect and control the light.
A tripod will also help you a lot - again there are cheap and expensive options here - a cheap $15 will do the job of a tripod and for a bridge camera be sturdy enough in most cases.

IF you want to go the DSLR rout its going to be more expensive and if you want video the second hand market is pretty much out of your reach, as video is still a very new thing in DSLRs. You might get lucky with a Canon 500D on the second hand market (far as I know the cheapest DSLR with video).

Ugh, why do I have to be interested in the spendy stuff? What do you mean any DSLR will do? And these cameras don't come with everything you need to take that type of picture? You would have to buy the lense and flash separate? And what other miscellaneous stuff do you mean?

Thanks for the info so far btw! :)

I mean, any DSLR will do. The DSLR is not what allows you to get close up pictures, it's the lens...you need a macro lens. No, they don't come with everything needed for these types of pictures....just like they don't come with the ability to photograph a small bird from the other side of the yard.....you have to get a lens specifically for these types of shots.....the lens it comes with will be a good walk around lens for taking family photos or landscapes, etc...

I agree with overread, if your budget is truly only $500, then you'll probably be better off with a higher end Point and Shoot camera. The quality won't be nearly the same, but it will at least get you close enough for doing macro.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back