Macro: Chinese Lantern Blooms

DigitalDiva

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
tree%20bloom%201.jpg

It is a little difficult for me to pick out what about this shot leaves me a little unsatisfied. Color is great, execution and lighting, ditto.

What I am missing here are the cues I normally get, where to stop looking so that I am focusing on the most important center. The very first 'seed' (?) is in fine focus, the next one is virtually the same size but in slightly less focus, and so on. My eyes go back and forth, not knowing what is the center. From the first to the third, because that has the same color and pleasing angles. The second is turned away, its point hidden.

The placement of the most in-focus 'seed' where the eye enters the picture is disconcerting and, I think, ultimately is the unsatisfying element.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment, Traveler. Any idea on what you think would improve it? I like the composition but the idea of having all of the blooms in focus seemed a bit too bland. Also, where would you put the bloom that is sharp?

I did note the point on the 2nd bloom is not in view. Totally open to any suggestions / ideas.

Answer one question if you will and I think I will be satisfied. Is the blur from the camera depth or did you add or enhance it.

Here's the technicals:
f5.6
1/20s
50mm
natural light

This was purely a DOF choice for me.

I think that I would switch the first and second, leaving the actual orientation of the blooms pretty much the same (or maybe the point of the first facing down) and have the focus more on the second (currently the first.).

I took this down to my computer and tinkered with it. I flopped it horizontally since my eye always sees images right to left .. down to up and it didnt change my perception.

I increased the contrast and it didn't really do anything. I think the image is complete as posted and can't be improved on my me at least. I don't know whatelse to say about it.

Personally I think having all in focus is anything but Bland....

Its composition on this that wins! If you position each lantern differently, because you have placed them in the frame corner to corner nicely.. " GOOD COMPOSITIONAL LINE!"
Maybe a touch of glue will hold each one in a different position???
The background color works well with this also...

Sorry, I vote all in focus... and let your Composition Win Over!

Most reactions

Back