Macro Critique

Irishpub3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.northeastfoto.com
I'm new to macro work and I would like to improve... I would really appreciate some feedback, tips, comments, etc... thanks!!

This shot was taken without a macro lens - I was using a 50mm 1.8 lens and an extension tube. I was trying to capture the vivid green color of the grasshopper, as well as his wonderful goofy face LOL (not may people appreciate the beauty of bugs)

I'm finding that the background is somewhat distracting... thoughts on clarity? color? composition? framing? background?

DSC_6105edited22.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

First of all, great shots. They are all amazingly sharp, well done.

Secondly, the critique section is meant for more in depth critique of one image at a time. It would just be too confusing to get proper critique of multiple images in one thread. Also, for critique...it helps if you let the viewer know what you did and what you were going for...you might have pulled it off or messed it up...but if we don't know...we can't help you.

Please feel free to post multiple images in a thread but place it in the appropriate forum...nature, for example.

That's better.

With this shot, I love that you have the bug's eyes & front of head in focus...that is important. As I said, the sharpness of that area is superb. I do find the one bright branch in the background to be somewhat distracting but it is significantly out of focus...so it's not too much of an issue. You could try to dim it down a bit...but maybe a tighter crop would eliminate it all together.

Once again, welcome to the forum...I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Nice photo, supersharp, Think it looks like you put the saturation up a little too much, its reeeeeally green. Like the face is in focus and the body fades out

I agree, the background is a bit distracting. Maybe the angle too, but I know we don't always have the best condition with macro.

I really the light, reflection in the eye. Was this photo taken indoor (aquarium) or outdoor?

I'm not very familiar with extension tubes, can someone explain how they affect DOF?

Your EXIF data says the shot was at F/22 so a simple way of making the background less distracting is open it up.

Most reactions

Back