Macro Filter

Dušan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have Nikkor 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 G which isn't macro lens, but I heared if I buy macro filter I will be able to shoot Macro photos. Is it true ?

Scrtew-n dioptres, aka macro filters, are a cheap easy way to try out macro photography. As with most things photographic you get what you pay for, I believe that the Canon dioptres give good results but I have not tried them myself. An alternative is to use extension tubes to reduce the closest distance at which your lens will focus.

The ultimate would be to use a dedicated macro lens which can focus to 1:1 (not a zoom which has just had macro added to the name and only focusses to 1:4 or 1:3). It is worth checking out the second hand market for macro lenses - you dont really need autofocus (focussing is usually done by moving the camera backwards and forwards) and so you can use some older, cheaper macro lenses.

Screw-on lenses will allow you to focus closer, but 99.9999% of them are junk. Stay away from the cheap stuff. Raynox makes good ones and I'm sure there's others. But don't expect to buy them for lunch money.

The best of these is descent. I have a Raynox 1.5 that I used with a 55-200 f4-5.6 Nikon VR and all in all is wasn't all that bad. It allows you to get much closer. If you are thinking hand held, bugs and stuff, it will be fine. If you are think serious macro work on a stand with lights, better look into a dedicated macro lens. This image of a gnat on a drop of water was shot with the 55-200 @ 200 with the Raynox 1.5
Flower in fron yard crop-4.jpg

One of the best macro filters I have ever seen are the Canon close up filters, they are very expensive..but very good optics.

Check them out at B&H Photo. I want to pick one up to try..but I've seen some really impressive results on YouTube and Flickr. You can find them cheaper used on eBay..but why would anyone sell these bad boys? They are good.

One of the best macro filters I have ever seen are the Canon close up filters, they are very expensive..but very good optics.

Check them out at B&H Photo. I want to pick one up to try..but I've seen some really impressive results on YouTube and Flickr. You can find them cheaper used on eBay..but why would anyone sell these bad boys? They are good.

Keh has a few of them KeH

The Nikon 3T and 4T(52mm) and 5T and 6T(62mm) diopters are also first-rate. They're discontinued but worth looking out for.

Most reactions

Back