MACRO FLOWER. I don't usually do flowers. Practice and testing a Tamron lens with a

LightSpeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I couldn't finish the subject line because I'm a long winded blabber mouth.
Anyway I was testing a Tamron 70-200mm F2.8, with a 25mm extension tube and a Yongnuo 560 flash.
Only downside I see with this flash is no TTL. Requires manual mode. Other than that, for the money, it's a hell of a flash unit.
That is, if you don't mind shooting manual.

1:1 macro gives very little working distance for bee's , butterflies, and you basic larger insects.
Just when you're about to release the shutter, when you finally got in close, GONE, they disappear.
1:3 macro which is what the tammy has, is not quite enough and you end up cropping the shyt out of the image, losing pixels.
I'm trying to find a happy medium for certain quarry. This is what I came up with.

6798480419_715a819c24_b.jpg

At first glance, I thought OW, my eyes hurt, but then I realised thats because I've been playing video games for 5 hours and havent seen anything bright really.

Second glance, I actually really like this, you have dark shadows, and bright highlights, neither of which are clipped, there may be some clipping but its negligible. It is well framed, and most every aspect works. The only things I would change personally, the background isnt quiet balanced, you have dark shadows on the right side, and some highlights on the left, but the problem is the right side also has some highlights, so my eyes are drawn towards the upper right corner, since it holds more weight. I'd darken the shadows on the left side of the frame. I would also semi desaturate the image. Just so that only the most vibrant of colors show through, but thats just because I like that style of image.

Overall I find this image very enjoyable, and enjoyed critiquing it.

I think I need sunglasses to look at this one :lol:

Just gotta let your pupils adjust for a good 30 seconds ;)

he managed to get the highlights AS BRIGHT AS POSSIBLE without clipping too many of them

At first glance, I thought OW, my eyes hurt, but then I realised thats because I've been playing video games for 5 hours and havent seen anything bright really.

Second glance, I actually really like this, you have dark shadows, and bright highlights, neither of which are clipped, there may be some clipping but its negligible. It is well framed, and most every aspect works. The only things I would change personally, the background isnt quiet balanced, you have dark shadows on the right side, and some highlights on the left, but the problem is the right side also has some highlights, so my eyes are drawn towards the upper right corner, since it holds more weight. I'd darken the shadows on the left side of the frame. I would also semi desaturate the image. Just so that only the most vibrant of colors show through, but thats just because I like that style of image.

Overall I find this image very enjoyable, and enjoyed critiquing it.

Well thank you sir.
I wasn't expecting that. Really.
I was just testing some equipment I recently purchased, mainly a Flash unit in conjunction with a 25mm extension tube.
And a lens that I had never used in this manner for macro work.
I basically wanted to see if I could produce a decently exposed image at a magnification useful for different sized critters than ones I'm accustomed to shooting which are tiny.
I didn't really have time to hunt today, so I found this little flower, which is common in clover, and thought the pink to red highlights in the white petals were interesting.
So I made it a subject and shot it. Just practice.

I really appreciate your well advised critique, and feel that many could take a page from your book in that regard.
Perfect 10 in the critique department. I'm not just saying that because it is favorable critique either.
Your mannerism is spot on in gentlemanly fashion. Keep up the good work. I look forward to hearing from you again in the future.

LightSpeed.

Could have been better.
This was before I made the amazing discovery that auto focus is much more effective
on bee's. Full 16.3 megapixels. Looks like this setup may be fairly effective on larger critters.

6800340873_2f6c1b69d4_z.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back