Macro lens advice.......

eddlum25

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for a macro lens. Currently I am looking at the Sigma 105 (non OS version) which is more affordable to me. I had read a lot of reviews on the Internet about this lens. Some said the IQ of this lens is on par with the Canon 100 macro lens, some said it is only a OK lens. I am very confused. Please help before I place an order. Thanks in advance.

Its just a thought, and I know it doesn't answer your current question, but for me and my tiny college student budget ill eventually be hooking my soon to arrive 50mm f/1.8 up to some Kenko tubes for a cheap/decent macro lens. If youve already got a 50mm, well then your even better off. From photos I've seen, this setup can do an incredible job at macro when its used right.

Its just a thought, and I know it doesn't answer your current question, but for me and my tiny college student budget ill eventually be hooking my soon to arrive 50mm f/1.8 up to some Kenko tubes for a cheap/decent macro lens. If youve already got a 50mm, well then your even better off. From photos I've seen, this setup can do an incredible job at macro when its used right.

With an extension tube attached, what is the distance to subject? Is it comfortable to work with?

With an extension tube attached, what is the distance to subject? Is it comfortable to work with?

It's fine for table-top work but close for bugs that do not sit still.

I just picked up a Sigma 180mm f/3.5 used on the cheap. $400 with tripod ring, hood, and case. Haven't tested it out much so far, but so far it seems pretty sweet. Great working distance, and seems to be well regarded by many as a great lens. I also heard the Sigma 150mm is very good. I know they have a newer OS model thats expensive, but they made a non-OS model you can still find used.

Thank you guys.

I just picked up a Sigma 180mm f/3.5 used on the cheap. $400 with tripod ring, hood, and case. Haven't tested it out much so far, but so far it seems pretty sweet. Great working distance, and seems to be well regarded by many as a great lens. I also heard the Sigma 150mm is very good. I know they have a newer OS model thats expensive, but they made a non-OS model you can still find used.

Now I am jealous. Will look them up in ebay, hopefully will find one cheap.

The Tamron 90mm macro lens is an excellent option. If it doesn't fit in your budget, try looking for a used on from some of the major online camera sites.

I don't have the Sigma 105mm. I have the Tamron 90mm & 180mm but Ive seen images produced by the Sigma 105mm and they were super sharp, highly detailed images.

Jerry

Most of the dedicated Marco Lens are not bad at all.

I used to own a Sigma 105mm EX macro lens for few weeks. I sold it not because it is optical performance (it is quite sharp), I just like my older Canon better because of the build quality. (Non-USM 100mm)

Most reactions

Back