Macro Lens and Extension Tubes HELP!

Judi, whatever lens you get, you also need to think about a focusing rail - they are not very expensive, but when you're shooting 1:1, you can't use the focusing ring - you need to move the camera closer or farther, and the only way to do this easily is with a focusing rail. Sparky had his shot on a thread at least 6 months ago (when he was explaining how he got his super-close macro shots). I think Charlie and Overread also have them. I certainly couldn't do proper macro without the rails.

Judi, whatever lens you get, you also need to think about a focusing rail - they are not very expensive, but when you're shooting 1:1, you can't use the focusing ring - you need to move the camera closer or farther, and the only way to do this easily is with a focusing rail. Sparky had his shot on a thread at least 6 months ago (when he was explaining how he got his super-close macro shots). I think Charlie and Overread also have them. I certainly couldn't do proper macro without the rails.

I shoot 95% of all my macro handheld... no rail, no tripod. I only use rails when I focus stack. I would recommend a rail later on, after you get the basics down... and start wanting to try other more advanced techniques.

Last edited:

I shoot 95% of all my macro handheld... no rail, no tripod. I only use rails when I focus stack. I would recommend a rail later on, after you get the basics down... and start wanting to try other more advanced techniques.

Well, I've tried handheld, and I've got too many shots with satisfying blur and no subject. So, at least for me, the rails are necessary. But then, unlike Charlie, I shoot mostly stationary objects and don't have to worry about a coin or rock scurrying away.

Well, I've tried handheld, and I've got too many shots with satisfying blur and no subject. So, at least for me, the rails are necessary. But then, unlike Charlie, I shoot mostly stationary objects and don't have to worry about a coin or rock scurrying away.

Yea... I would love it if I had time to setup a tripod for a lot of my shots, lol!

First thanks everyone for being patient with me through this process, I've learned a LOT and am getting more confident that my purchase will be the right one :)

Thanks so much for the examples Jake and Charlie, both are awesome! After reading and reading and reading about the lenses available I'm finding that performance wise there are a good few to choose from that are all comparable so I am now looking at things like how the render bokeh, and the "character" of the lenses for lack of a better term.

I have read in multiple places that around the 100mm mark +/- is the place to be, when you start getting into longer focal lengths you start introducing more issues to deal with like camera shake making rails and tripods more necessary to get the IQ I'm looking for and the images I saw taken with shorter focal lengths didn't twirl my beanie (I can't even put my finger on why) .

Paul, while rails are a consideration after I choose the lens (I'm pretty positive that I'm going to have some money left over after the lens purchase) I'm a handheld kinda gal, the less I have to set up the better and the less restricted the better. Rails are definitely on the wish list since I have a lot of ideas that will require focus stacking and to use with my 50mm reverse mounted (that is the one purchase I have decided on, reverse mount for that lens... woohoo $8 of $925 is spoken for lmao!!)

Most reactions

Back