Macro Lens for Canon Rebel Xsi

carym18651

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking for an affordable Macro Lens for my Canon Rebel Xsi. I really love macro photography and have borrowed a friend's lens, but would like to have one of my own. Any suggestions?

My first choice would be the Canon 100mm f/2.8. 60 mm is a bit short if you want bugs and such.

Other (possibly more affordable) choices are the Sigma 105mm and the Tamron 90mm macro lenses -- both excellent glass.

Well from what I understand, the reason the 60mm even exists is that it gives the crop sensor about the same field of view as the 100mm would on a full frame (about 96mm equivelancy), plus its a good 200$ cheaper. But yeah, if it were me, I would much rather go longer to the 100mm. I don't do much macro photography though, so I haven't looked too much into the lenses.

The EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM has internal focusing so that the lens does not change length when it is focused. It's also one of Canon's sharpest lenses. The Sigma 105, Tamron 90 and Tokina 100 macros are reputedly good lenses, but they're not so much cheaper than the better Canon lens to convince me to buy one of them instead.

Most reactions

Back