macro lens for D800

bs0604

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any recommendations for a macro lens to use with my D800. Price is not particularly an issue.
Also will the Nikon R1C1 speedlight system work with the macro lens & D800?

Yes.. the R1C1 works well with the the D800 and a macro lens.

My first suggestion would be the Nikon 105.. it is sharp, and built like a tank! If you want longer distance between you and your subjects.. the Nikon 200 would be great (but it can be frustrating for a macro beginner, and the added distance means you have to get creative with flash... the R1C1's are at their best close to the subject, like with the 105). The Sigma 150 and new 180 are well thought of... I had a 150 and sent it back though... backfocusing. The Tokina 100 is a good inexpensive macro lens... as is the Tamron 90. For learning macro, especially with those flashes.. I would recommend something in between 90 and 105 personally. With a good speedlight / diffuser setup.. any of these lenses can do it for you.

Yes.. I have a D800, R1C1's, Speedlights, the 105, and have had the 150, 100, and an 85, and brackets and diffusers.... And I love macro!

Example.. D800, 105, tubes and R1C1's

Yellow Jacket Face by CGipson Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Don't have a D800 but I love my Nikon 105

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Haha, well, I may not always agree with everything he says but there is still useful info for someone contemplating the purchase.

Haha, well, I may not always agree with everything he says but there is still useful info for someone contemplating the purchase.

Maybe every 4th or 5th page... but many people who are new to photography can't tell when he is making it up, or when he is being serious. He even admits to making stuff up, if you read enough.....

Fair enough, lol, I changed it to the experts on Amazon :lol:

I use the Nikon 105 macro with the R1C1 and A D7000. I'm happy with it.

Attachments

• $water drop on juniper-3.small.jpg
    $water drop on juniper-3.small.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 222
Since most macro work is done with manual focus I see no reason to spend 2-3 times as much for an auto focus lens + CPU tubes. Buy yourself a 105mm f2.8 ais micro nikkor and some manual tubes.

Fortunately God created the 60mm 2.8 AF d lens and the 105mm macro and then allowed Nikon to build them.
The older 105 AF d macro Is used around 500.00 the new one with VR is around 900.00.
Mike

Number3_zps32748643.jpg

Last edited:
The Nikon R1 will work in commander mode with the D800.
The 60mm 2.8 AF d has more working distance than does the newer 60mm AF s lens. I use the 60 when I can because at the smaller f stops it has better perceived depth of field. For insects, as has been said, the 105 is king. Use manual focus and move in and out to get you focal point.
As an added bonus the Nikon 105 f2.8 AF s VR lens is a great portrate lens.
Cameras_zps1de158c4.jpg
Head_zpsd64bb084.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
CGipson1's post of the yellow jacket states "Example.. D800, 105, tubes and R1C1's" . What are "tubes"

can you refer me to a link that explains how tubes are utilized and why?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back